Problems with ILS/APPR

hi guys,

for example, if I want to land at RJTT (Tokyo haneda) and select runway 16R, the runway information says "16R-157°M - ILS (111.55Mhz), what does the 157° mean?

Incidentally, I only have problems with the APPR. Although I set 15nm to 3000 or whatever decision height is necessary depending on the environment, and follow all the steps, somehow it still doesn’t work. I suspect that the error could be in the approach angle. When approaching Milan, for example, I approached a point to reach the decision height (235°), and another point that then leads to the red approach path on the map (240° or so), but nothing happens. I really don’t know what to do anymore.

Do the approach angles have to be the same for all vectors for this to work? In real life this is not possible everywhere, you can’t fly in a straight line to the landing path.

“16” is the rounded heading (without the “0”) at the end.
“157” is the exact heading used by ILS.

APPR should capture the localizer and the glideslope when you enter the approach cone.

Could you share a replay so we can see what’s going on exactly?

When you approach the cone within 30 degrees (plus or minus) of the runway heading, it should work fine.

Ok, I see, but in the APPR video tutorial on YouTube it says that if you approach a runway 28L, for example, the angle should be between 250 and 310 degrees (or something like that, I don’t know exactly at the moment)

I have the landing approach to RJTT (Tokyo Haneda). If there are any problems, I’ll send you the file

Please use the link above and share it here, so we can have a look. :)

1 Like

The course, not the angle.
When approaching runway 28L it means that the runway has a direction of roughly 280 degree. Plus 30 degree would be 310 degree, minus 30 degree would be 250 degree.
So your course must be between 250 degree and 310 degree. That matches Jan’s statement that your relative entry angle should be 30 degree or less.

I have sent the file, it should be available now

You need to post the link to the file here! :)

1 Like

Are you setting NAV1 to the runway ILS and selecting APPR mode once within the cone?

On approach, with APPR activated, are you intercepting the localizer at an altitude below the glideslope? If too high, you will only catch the localizer and miss the glideslope.

Ok here is the link

For example, while I have my decision altitude of e.g. 2500ft, if the airport is at an altitude of e.g. 80ft above sea level, 5 minutes before I enter the landing path that finally leads to the runway, I activate both NAV on NAV1, then Source NAV1 and then APPR Mode.

You need to enter the cone at the start of the cone, so about 10nm out.

You also need to set NAV1 to the right ILS by selecting the runway and tapping SET NAV 1.
When you then enable APPR, the aircraft will capture both the localizer and the glide slope.

Also see this part of the User Guide:

1 Like

I suggest entering the cone at 3000 feet above aerodrome level to intercept glideslope.

Also, I suggest you file the approach as part of your flight plan:

Approaches for an airport can be found under the PROC (Procedures) tab. As you can see, cone entry is at 3,000 feet at CF27L fix.

Select APPR mode as you enter the cone to intercept the localizer followed by the glideslope.

Additionally, it’s good idea to add a STAR (Standard Terminal ARrival) procedure to your flight plan. The STAR will usually connect with the approach at an initial approach fix (IAF).

STARs are under PROC as Arrivals. Here I select the ALES1H arrival at EGLL which connects with the 27L ILS approach procedure at the initial approach fix BIG.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

very interesting, thank you very much, I will read through it carefully and test it out tomorrow

1 Like

Any questions, let me know, more than happy to assist.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.