Problems while sleeping on long haul,

When on a long haul flight, and I am a sleep,
If I am flying over an airspace, such as London Centre,
What if London centre contacts me, but I am asleep unable to do anything,

Will I get a violation for not contacting London centre and checking in? Or is it fine for me to sleep for long haul flights, not needing to be constantly online,

If my grammar or anything does not make sense, please tell me, I am not good at English,

Sorry for the disturbance,

6 Likes

On the ATC interface, it will tell the controller if you are away or not, if you are indicated as “away,” there will be no penalty.

2 Likes

Hello, and Welcome to the forum.

You are fine to sleep on your long haul flights as the app shows you as “away” after you haven’t touched your device’s screen for 2 minutes.

2 Likes

How would I be indicated as away? Does it happen over some time, or do I have to activate it?

As Adam pointed out, you’ll be marked as “away” after you’ve gone two minutes without touching your screen

1 Like

Thank you for the help,

1 Like

On another note, if you are away, and enter an active airspace whilst flying, (you go to bed then 3 hours later you enter London airspace, you are flying through and will not be active for another 2-3 hours for example) and the ATC contacts you with the “you are in an active airspace…” they wouldn’t see a away dot for your aircraft because you aren’t already on their frequency so what happens in this scenario?

1 Like

They shouldn’t be doing that…

The controller can see your away status in the full flight information readout as well, which doesn’t require you to be on frequency.

2 Likes

Also, if you’re inactive and you run into someone, ATC will be instructed to assume that the conflict is unintentional, and not report you.

1 Like

Who shouldn’t be doing what?

1 Like

ATC shouldn’t be contacting you if you are inactive and passing through their airspace.

Yea, Benny said it correctly. Radar controllers will not send an on-guard to someone who is away. I believe the OP got the idea though :) Happy Flying!

1 Like

There’s no indication anyone is, the original question is hypothetical.

1 Like

Another point, apart from what you said, I recommend you to check your flight plan in detail. Make sure that the waypoints aren’t too close one to each others, especially on sharp turns. If the plane turns and has not enough space to catch the next WPT it will stay doing circles until you activate the following route leg. It happen to me few days ago, and my 777 did 10 circles in one hour over Iceland…

2 Likes

What if you set your device to never Auto-Lock, will it still show the away sign since the screen never turns off?

Yes, it will still show as away. Auto-lock will not affect Infinite Flight in any way at all.

Actually, ATC should contact you if you are away so if you happen to be around your device, you can contact them if you can. Obviously they won’t mind if you don’t contact though as you are away. It’s just advisory.

2 Likes