Problem with flaps

I have a problem where when I’m on final approach and put full flaps my plane starts to pitch up and stalls. It happens for every plane I have.

You need to gradually extend flaps not all at once and slow your speed while doing so.

1 Like

I also moved to general this isn’t a bug but the physics of flight

Perhaps you are too slow and have hit the stall speed. Full flaps doesn’t mean you lowered the stall speed enough that you would never hit it. Always monitor your airspeed at critical points in flight, such as finals, and make sure you don’t have the throttle at 0% the whole time.

Hope this helps

Okay thank

I usually keep the throttle at 56%, 65%, or sometimes at 70%.

That’s ok if your gears down before your gears down try 30%

Another tip would be Google the POH of the aircraft your flying and follow their approach procedures. Hope that helps

50% to 70% still wobble!! it’s easier to find on google for flaps setting and final speed. You don’t have to use full flaps for every landing it depends on your weight. I use 25 for 77W and 77F. Main flaps run from 180knots to your final speed that’s From 10-25’flaps.

I usually fly a B737-800

Don’t use full 40 deg flaps just use 30 deg 40 is to much for that aircraft you should slow to about 150-160 kts air speed and 30 deg flaps and you should be fine it’s always going to pitch up a bit that’s what you want but my guess is your just going to fast for the flap setting your trying to use causing the plane to pitch up thus loosing airspeed to the stall point

1 Like

@Bulba just check you’re not coming in too fast. If you extend to full flaps at too high an airspeed, you’re aircraft will gain too much lift and pitch up violently until you stall. Get your airspeed way down to around 135-140knots if you’re going to extend to flaps 40 in the 737

1 Like

Approach speeds are dependent on a number of varying factors such as type of aircraft, weight, winds, flaps, etc.
Modern airliners have computers to calculate speed, flaps, trim, thrust, etc. We don’t have computers, but we have the next best thing, the attitude (pitch) indicator.

Planes are designed to fly level. During your approach you will want to keep your plane level and less than 3 degrees pitch up.

Start by aiming your FPV (little circle inside your HUD) at the beginning of the runway. As you slow, your nose will start pitching up. When your pitch nears 3 degrees, you will need to extend the flaps enough to bring the nose of the plane back down. Keep doing this until you are at your final flap setting.

You should be at your final flap setting with gears down, between 1,000 - 1500 feet above ground level.

From here you will need to keep your FPV pointed to the start of the runway while maintaining enough speed to keep your attitude/pitch between level and 2 degrees. If your plane starts pitching greater then 2 degrees, you will need to slightly increase your thrust to bring it back down to the horizon.
If your plane starts pitching below the horizon, you will need to decrease your thrust.

You can start practicing with either the 737-700 or 800. Try to be in full landing configuration early in the ILS (3000ft) and practice keeping the FPV on the start of the runway while keeping the plane level to the horizon.

Set your weight to 25%, flaps 30, with an approach speed of 144kts, throttle at 60% or N1 71%. The only thing you need to do is to manipulate is the throttle. Using the auto throttle will make it a bit easier to control.

Here is a screenshot of how your attitude indicator and fpv should look.

1 Like

And… always keep your device calibrated

1 Like