Problem with aircraft gaining on me

Hello IFC!

I am doing a realistic flight from CYYZ to KLAX (based off this data) and am cruising at FL380 (like in that flight), at M0.85. According to my groundspeed, I am close to the same speed as that flight. However, a person behind me, doing the same flight is going 20 kts gs faster. Idk what to do in this situation, as I want to stay realistic. Is it realistic to speed up to M.86? Or should I trust the person behind me to slow down?

3 Likes

You’re on expert I assume?

2 Likes

Yes, indeed I am!

1 Like

I personally would stick to your flight plan. M.86 is a bit fast for an airliner.

If they want to go faster they should change their altitude.
On the other hand they might have a bit of a tail wind that you aren’t experiencing.

4 Likes

Trust them to slow.

1 Like

This would be my preference yes! B787 can go M.86 if necessary tho, right? I hope they notice that they are gaining on me, and climb or descend. This situation has been like this for a good 2 hours now, I was expecting them to descend (or climb) or slow down, but they haven’t yet

Hopefully they will. But there are some not so good pilots on expert.

1 Like

@Hymenopus_Coronatus you could always change your altitude.

1 Like

If necessary, yes I could climb to FL400, as this flight has done before. However, I am trying to follow this flight exactly.

1 Like

I would suggest keeping your speed. If you are on Casual and somebodys flying airliners supersonic that you shouldn’t adapt to their speed. As you are doing everything realistic you should stay realistic

1 Like

I would climb or descend if they are getting too close. Ive had that happen to me and that’s what I did. It’s the easiest and safest thing to do.

Well I’d say that there aren’t unrealistic pilots in the real world. Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

It would have been ideal to PM the user, but I don’t think this user is on IFC sadly, as i have searched for the display name. I am somewhat worried though, as this user’s violation to landing ratio might suggest a lack of professionalism, or just forgetting to slow down or smth (not going to judge). I’ll climb to FL400 if necessary, as this flight has climbed before, but it would be ideal not to. The user was however, told to check forums by IFATC, which may mean they might create an IFC account, in which case this could be dealt with here.

1 Like

Also keep in mind, because this is a longer flight the user may not be watching their device and may have no idea they are closing in on you.

To add on, they may have a stronger tailwind or lighter headwind than you causing them to go faster. Once that goes away or evens out to what you have they may slow to your speed.

1 Like

Yes, this is what I am most worried about. I have decided to climb to FL400, as this flight has done irl before, to avoid problems.

2 Likes

Unfortunately you are going to have to make a decision, and both are going to cut your realism effort (while valiant)

If you stay at your altitude and hold your speed, it is unlikely that other pilot is paying any attention to you and will fly through you (realism means you have just killed everyone).

If you alter your altitude, you are losing matching the flight, but everyone is alive.

I vote option two, while it breaks off the real-world flight, you have saved the lives of many, and maintained realism that would happen if that is a real-world situation.

2 Likes

Sound like a good idea. Safe travels!

1 Like

Yes, and luckily, this flight has climbed to FL400 irl before, so the flight remains realistic!

1 Like

IRL altitude changes for traffic are happening too. Hence if you are worried about a collision alternate your altitude (under ATC supervision changing just 1000 feet is fine as well) and once you’re clear of conflict either return to your old FL or stay at the new one.

Your flight won’t be less realistic for an altitude change, no worries.

2 Likes

Thanks all for your help! Cruising realistically at FL400! I will now flag this topic for closure.

2 Likes