Power Reduction After Takeoff

Some of the runways that I take off on like KLGA or other shorter runways I use 95% power /100% N1. After I am airborne, at what speed(kts) is it safe to reduce my power? Please let me know thank you!

4 Likes

This depends which aircraft you are flying

3 Likes

It depends wildly on many factors. This may include your loads, your vertical speed, are there any restrictions that you want to follow and more. Perhaps if you could give us more detail on this we would be more able to help you.

1 Like

About a 50% load on a 737,757,A320

As mentioned previously, there are multiple factors that you should take into consideration. I recommend checking out take-off profiles for all aircraft, which can be found in the community tutorials category.

2 Likes

Well, it varies from aircraft to aircraft. Looking between the B737 and B757 for example, the B757 is known to be a powerful plane, so it could be possible for you to lower your power at a lower altitude and speed than say a B737. Once again, there are many factors at play here, and there really isn’t a “one size fits all” answer that could be given.

2 Likes

100% right

1 Like

Yeah 95% power which goes to about 100% N1

1 Like

No i mean his message was 100% right 😉

1 Like

I have Infinite Flight Callouts, after it says positive rate and my gear is retracted is it god to reduce than?

Not necessarily. If say you’re already climbing but you reduce your power when you’re just about maintaining the same airspeed, you’re going to stall and crash. And like I mention earlier, you are going to have to provide more information than just this if you want an accurate answer.

1 Like

I think so. Everytime I put up my gear, I reduce

1 Like

But I’m at like, 210 knots by at like 1,200 feet

1 Like

And just the other day at KBOS I had a steep takeoff

On which plane?

757-200
And also the same thing yesterday on the 767

Just as I mentioned earlier, factors that affect your performance can vary wildly. Just as you could be 210KIAS at 1200 feet when you’re light, someone else with the same power setting could be just about maintaining a stable climb and lowering engine power would cause them to lose airspeed quickly and dangerously.

Speed reduction altitude is normally set at 1000ft AGL (if there are no special factors). Before that you should keep the speed around 20kts above the rotation speed via a pitch of about 15-20°.

For more information on a realistic departure I would also like to recommend you the following video:

8 Likes

^ That. You determine your thrust and speed beforehand and then you adjust your pitch to maintain a speed (if you’re trying to fly realistically, that is).

3 Likes

It’s unrealistic to ever use 100% thrust upon takeoff, as it typically puts an unnecessary strain on the engines, causing more wear and tear overtime. If you’re at at normal weight and runway, you shouldn’t need anymore than 75-80%. If you are heavy or are using a short runway, you should be at roughy 90%.

1 Like