Poor Quality ATC at KMIA

Hey guys, so today around 2020-06-16T14:00:00Z to 2020-06-16T14:30:00Z, I was controlling KMIA Tower and ATIS. There were about 20 inbounds within 2 nautical miles, there was no approach or centre frequency. So I had a ton of planes calling inbound. That ment that some pilots got late instructions; it was even hard to get the ATIS set up because I could not leave to pilots for 10 seconds. There was over 30 planes on my frequency, and a lot of planes in one space 15 nautical miles away from the airport. Below is a video I made of my controlling there, for me it was truly a stressful experience, and for the pilots, some of them were missing a few instructions. I am truly sorry for the Poor Tower Service at KMIA.
Video (1:20 is when it really starts to get bad)

19 Likes

Maybe at major hubs tower and departure or approach should coordinate to get on at the same time.

1 Like

Hey! I was REWRK757, and I completely agree with what you explained. ATC cannot be bailing during a fully loaded airport, and needs to be addressed. I do thank you for how much you did do, and hopefully your next session will be easier!

3 Likes

Thats hard to do because people in the IFATC are volunteers, and they have other things to do too.

6 Likes

Thanks for understanding!

4 Likes

You’re banned from IFATC. The door is that way. 👉🏼🚪

Just kidding, you’re all good. Appreciate you apologizing to pilots, knowing where you went wrong and learning from your mistakes is a key role in IFATC. Sometimes when approach hops off and it’s an insanely busy airspace there’s not too much that you can do.

12 Likes

Completely fine Kailas! We are all human too in the end, and mistakes will be made.

2 Likes

How is this his mistake? ATC bailed, and left a completely chaotic airspace for the next guy.

2 Likes

Everyone always wants to land but never think about the controller. When approach goes offline everyone just races to the runway to land. It unbelievable that Expert Server pilots do such a thing

5 Likes

That was more of a general statement. There’s not much he could’ve done in that situation. Even veteran IFATC have situations where they get overwhelmed.

Just as a general tip, in IFATC if you get into a situation like this, work from the inside out. Get those closest to the airport situated first, don’t be afraid to send a few on a go-around if you have to, and then work with those further out.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t race at all. I’d likely add 30 nm to my approach to see what people do.

1 Like

When approach goes offline I just go somewhere outside the airspace and hold until approach comes back. If approach comes back

2 Likes

Yeah, sometimes its better to let the traffic simmer down times ;)

4 Likes

I remember at KORD everyone left and I did a 25 mile final while others did like 6 mile finals. I’m very cautious now 😂

1 Like

It isn’t as easy as you think it is. When approach goes off, the whole airspace becomes chaotic. As mentioned above, even veteran controllers get overwhelmed at times. If you watch the video, you’d notice aircraft requesting something every second. It isn’t easy handling aircrafts coming from different directions with no approach to vector them. Also, if you didn’t know yet, IFATC are volunteers and their life does not just revolve around Infinite Flight.

3 Likes

It’s okay Kailas, it’s totally understandable considering how packed KMIA is even right now. I can barely get a parking when I went there earlier haha

But we must applaud you that you tried your best to control despite of the shortcomings (with no radar services, etc). If I was you, I would have given up on controlling. So kudos to you for serving the pilots :D

4 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate that!

5 Likes

I know it is, but that’s what those IFATC members signed up for. I understand that it gets packed, but just like in real life, it takes a lot of coordination, and a lot of time. IFATC can leave, but at least have another controller ready to jump in, so what happened today won’t happen as badly next time. :)

1 Like

If you’d seen the manual, we have to announce closure minimally 5 minutes before closing. Most of the time another controller would take over.

I think that they should have a system were before they start opening other airports not on the schedule they should ensure other airports are fully staffed.

1 Like