"Please Search Before Creating a Topic" Always Pinned for Certain Trust Levels?

I don’t know if Discourse is able to facilitate this, but would it be possible to permanently keep a topic like “Please Search Before Creating a Topic” pinned for TL0 and/or 1 members?

Having a topic like that appear on the top of the screen until new members have reached the next trust level might help them out and prevent others from having to post it over and over again as a reply.

Just thinking out loud.

Other basic information could be added as well.

I’ve searched for a request or idea like this, but nothing popped up.

33 Likes

Ran out of likes, but I support \ (•◡•) /

8 Likes

Or while creating the topic, it says something like “have you searched before posting?”

6 Likes

Buying “likes” should be a feature and source of income for FDS! ;)
Just kidding! :)

9 Likes

Yeah. That sounds more complicated though.

6 Likes

Wont work I fear, humans tend to ignore something if it is repeatedly shown…

I myself have experienced this when I saw the banner to update the reviews in the store, which I repeatedly ignored, subconsciously

10 Likes

I’m afraid you’re right about that.
But even when it would work with a small percentage of new members it could still be a win, right?
Especially when it would be easy to create.

5 Likes

The Output factor might be less, but thats up to the mods

5 Likes

TS0 and TS1 need to be reminded of this, their new to the forum, they don’t have experience Unlike all the regulars who shared their thoughts on this topic and by doing this it would create a lot less duplicates which would keep the community more tidy

8 Likes

Make only support posts open to TL0 and 1, unlock all but the lounge at TL3.

4 Likes

This is definitely needed. Although I also partly blame the way the key word search is coded. I’m sure that many people search up their topic name, but nothing comes up.

8 Likes

One issue, sometimes members and even regulars do this. Why don’t make it for everyone?

4 Likes

Should be for mods

3 Likes

Good idea, would certainly help reduce the amount of duplicates we receive. I’m not entirely sure this is something Discourse supports right now; there is something called a banner though (as Dush mentioned). It’s a blue box that sits on top of every page until dismissed by the user. The problem is just that - it can be dismissed by the user which isn’t really helpful in this case.

I recall Philippe creating a banner with essentially a summary of the forum FAQ/guidelines. Unsure if it was read much to be completely honest, but always a viable option. :)

Alternatively, you could request this on their meta forums or get someone to create a plugin for it (@Cameron).

8 Likes

What about a system where a person who starts up a new post when clicking post, a pop up would appear saying something like ‘your post is very similar to (list a bunch of keywords used in other posts, do you still want to post? This is to prevent massive duplicate topics)

Then to counter them from just clicking away, they gotta scroll down to click post.

Ive seen it work on some of my local forums. People will be all too eager to post when they come on, my first thought when i join IFC was to post something and i ignored all other stuff but look for the option to post :x

3 Likes

They’ve got it here. When you put in a title which is similar to other topics, it will say: “Similar topics” and show them.

1 Like

How about an electric cattle prod? (a.k.a. Southpark)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.