Please let me know the timing of the gear down

Please let me know the timing of the gear down?

1 Like

I don’t think there is no timing just extract it when you feel you should.I personally do it around 8nm

1 Like

Your gear should be down at about 6 NM from the runway. Around 7 to 5 NM is the best timing to lower gear.

4 Likes

I usually lower my gear when I’m about 6 to 9 miles from the runway, but you can do it whenever you like I suppose

2 Likes

I do it at 6-4 NM.

1 Like

If I do it just after the glideslope (?) Is right in the middle, followed by the flap and landing gear. Can be said around 6-8nm :)

1 Like

I personally do it around 5 NM away.

2 Likes

I do it once I hit final so I get a sense of speed and drag I will feel only because I use auto throttle but no later than 5 nm

Based on many videos I’ve checked in YouTube, for large aircraft 8nm to dest, for A320 and B737 7.5nm and for CRJs about 5nm.

1 Like

I do it when established on the localizer or upon landing clearance

1 Like

At the bottom center if your screen there is a display with the runway name what you are established on. It shows how far out you are in nm(Nautical Miles). You should lower between 7-5nm

1 Like

I do it 5-7 nm based on aircraft. Like 5 nm for CRJ, 7 nm for A320/787/777.

1 Like

I do it 5nm from the runway :)

1 Like

In the real world there is a recommendation, depending upon type, company and SOP’s of course, to put the gear down at 2000’ AAL which equates to between 6-7nm from the threshold.

I say this is a recommendation as we have a ‘requirement’ to be speed stable in the landing configuration by 1000’ AAL and this is often a comfortable way to achieve this.

If however you have a very strong headwind and a very low approach speed to can delay easily in a heavy to 1500’ (5nm). If it’s a tail wind or you’re a bit high or hot on the approach then 3000’ and dropping the ‘dunlop speedbrakes’ is a perfectly reasonable option avoiding the need to pull the speedbrake all the time.

So, for the TLDR brigade, the decision is yours, above 3000’ (9-10nm) would be a little early and you must be speed stable by 1000’. Anywhere in between is good!!!

HTH

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.