'Please exit the runway before contacting ground'

As the ATC at an airport, when an aircraft lands, it is so annoying when the pilot then goes and requests taxi to parking whilst still on the runway or/and still hasn’t passed the hold short line. And when that happens, I don’t know the correct command, so I just end up saying ‘Contact tower on…’
There should be a command in the misc. messages that says ‘Please exit the runway before contacting ground’.
I have a feeling that this won’t need many votes, if the mods or devs see this, they will hopefully think ‘Yes, this is definitely needed’ but lets get some votes for this if you think this command has to be implemented into the ATC commands list.

It’s not necessary, never has been.

6 Likes

I personally am fine with the pilots contacting ground before they exit the runway, as long as there is no disturbance with the flow of traffic. It allows us to expedite things, and the pilot can smoothly transition from landing to taxiing without waiting. If the pilots don’t cross the hold short line to vacate the runway, you can simply use ‘continue taxi’ or, if it’s a more serious case, ‘exit runway’ commands before issuing them their taxi clearance. I have to agree with Pingu on this one; we already have the necessary tools to handle this type of situation

3 Likes

I’m not really sure how this would be implemented. If the aircraft changes frequency, then you can’t send the command. I mean technically the Ground controller could send the command, but you don’t need to request on the taxiway. It’s more professional, but it’s fine if you do it on the runway.

3 Likes

I do this all the time and when i see people doing it i dont have a problem with it i dont think this is necessary really

2 Likes

That’s why IFATC have a “Please follow Instructions”. If they don’t, then a final warn and a report if not action is taken

5 Likes

Well your no supposed to cross the hold short line without getting a taxi clearance when exiting the rwy

Hmm well I think it would be better if everyone requests parking on the taxiway. I kind of find it annoying, but I guess it’s fine from the replies I got…
But I still think this should be implemented

No I am pretty sure you cross and then request taxi to parking before you go any further, but can someone correct me if I am wrong?

You cross the lines when exiting the runway to be out of the runway environment. You need an clearance to cross when entering runway environment

2 Likes

Ok so I am correct?

1 Like

You are right

1 Like

Ok thanks for the clarification

This is simple. When you exit the runway, Tower knows you have commands to jiggle as you exit ( flaps up, spoilers down, strobe off, etc) and I have never had an issue requesting taxi to parking. A pilot should already have the arrival gate in mind, or at least a feel for the tarmac layout. It’s all about teamwork. I do like “progressive taxi” instructions by our fine ATC team here when it is necessary.

My whole point is, exit the runway, celebrate a great landing for a few seconds, and contact Ground when ready and always look around for other traffic. Most of my final is actually checking ground traffic and planning my moves as such. It also helps we have a fantastic and rational ATC crew within this community!

2 Likes

I personally think this is just not necessary at all. Most people don’t or shouldn’t have a problem with contacting ground on the runway…

2 Likes

Honestly I think it’s not necessary

3 Likes

The problem is that they do but when you really should be contacting ground on the taxiway. As tower says “turn and contact ground on the taxiway”.

3 Likes

Tower does a great job at mentioning “contact ground” as you are on final roll. Point is, respect the surrounding traffic, collaborate with ATC, and have your end destination (gate or cargo spot) in mind before taking off. Now let’s fly!

1 Like

Overall I think this topic should now be closed, although I understand everyone has their own personal thoughts and ideas, realistically I don’t think this will be implemented, there are many other topics and suggestions that have far more priority than this. Small things like this, although it is nice for people to express, is not abundantly useful for the community and hasn’t had any votes. However it is Always important for everyone in this community to have a fair chance to express their experiences, wants and needs etc.

So thank you for this however due to lack of importance and firm prioritised acknowledgement, I think this should be closed

The #features category on the forum is for any and every user to request features that they would like to see added to the simulator. If you would like to see the feature suggested, added to the simulator then you can vote for the request.

If you aren’t to fussed about the feature request then you don’t need to vote for a request that you’re not personally interested in.

Just because you aren’t interested in it and the topic doesn’t have many votes, it’s not a reason for it to be closed. If the moderators went through a closed all the feature requests with minimal votes, we would be here all day.

5 Likes

The topic has been open nine hours. If he wants to express his desires, that’s exactly what this category is for. Let the process happen, let the moderators do their thing, is my opinion. If you’re against it, that’s fine. Don’t vote for it. Or if you are for it, great, vote for it and move on. Don’t start trying to close the topic down just because you think it’s unnecessary. That’s your opinion. The OP has his opinion and he created this topic to see if he could find others that share the same opinion; exactly what this category is for. And that’s my 2 cents. :)

3 Likes