Planning a 24 hour flight (today)

Ran into a problem the A380 has enough fuel for 22 hours not enough to reach auckland from heathrow anything i can do? or is a stop over imminent

2 Likes

You can use trim to try and keep the nose down, thus using less fuel. I would recommend a stopover somewhere in Southeast Asia.
For future reference, you should definitely refer to this thread when you are planning to fly:

1 Like

If you plan around/get lucky with tailwinds you can get some extra flying time, but it’s probably impossible.

3 Likes

You do not have to use the A380, you could use (the admittedly small fleet) of refuellable aircraft and get to Auckland in one shot by linking up with a or some KC-10s to top up. Ask for people that can go closer to the time.

1 Like

@Blue That will be hard

2 Likes

You have plenty of members on the forum who would love to refuel you. You can fly another KC-10 and do the flight

I may just do a 20 hour instead as i need sleep in my life :P

1 Like

Ive flown from Hawaii to the Gran Canaries Islands (Near Spain) once during my Competition Flight in October in a B767… So anythings possible :P

Actually I think with no load, full fuel, and some good winds you can reach LHR with a tiny bit of fuel remaining. I did Auckland to Abu Dhabi in the A380 before and I had 5 hours of fuel left

2 Likes

Use a 787. Better fuel efficiency and range

4 Likes

@diamond False i did a 15 hour stream yesterday with full load of fuel
and only had like 30 mins left

I may just settle for a 15-17 hour stream again

You can easily get more than that in a 787. If you step climb, use windy.com or something to find the most favorable winds, cruise at the 787’s most efficient speed, trim properly, and more, 787s go much further. Definitely take a look at some tutorials posted above and you’ll be able to maxmize the performance of your aircraft.

1 Like

Like @AnikaitD said, you probably encountered huge head winds because you can easily do a 20 hour flight in the 787

1 Like

I’ve flown from Heathrow to Auckland. Took me 20h 52m in the 787-9 The eastbound route is usually faster due to tailwinds.

Have you got a flightplan saved i could use @ewan

also would the 787-10 be better to use or the -9

I believe the -10’s range is much less than the -9. If you are planning a 20+ hr flight, the 789 is definitely the best option ;)

1 Like

Is slower better than faster :/

What model did you use?

I used the 787-10 @diamond