Planes slow to fast during landing, brakes or reverse thrust or both?

It seems the planes in IF that are under the MLW (as they should be) during landing seem to decrease their speed very quickly and it looks quite unrealistic. This is of course using full flaps, spoilers, reverse thrust and brakes.

Just curious, what braking methods does everyone use and do you use all 4 methods at the same time although unrealistic?

I just land with Full Flaps, Spoilers on Armed and Reverse Thrust.

3 Likes

I think I agree too.

I have often thought that my plane slows faster than any plane I have been on in real life.

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

But also, there’s often a need to expedite the vacation from the runway.

My landing:

1. Touch down smoothly
  2. wait 2-3 seconds, because otherwise you can lose the controll of the plane if there is crosswind
  3. Start Reverse until 60 knts
  4. while reverse or after reverse I use the brakes

At KNUC are only a few taxi ways to exit the Runway, so I leave me time, don’t make sense to revese much and give at the end power again to come to the taxi way

3 Likes

I just let it roll for a little bit of realism. ;)

1 Like

Don’t touch down woth brakes already activated. Once the rear wheels “kiss” the ground, keep the nose up a tad. Once you almost lower it, engage reverse thrust (Not 100% reverse thrust). As you slow down more and more switch from reverse to brakes-Depends on the person. I try to aim for 90-60 kts. depending on landing speed.

Keep in mind the reverse thrust is loud and jokting for the passengers so don’t overuse it or use an excess power level. Brakes can also be a shock but are less of an annoyance than reverse thrust.

Next time you fly in real life, observe and listen for the sounds that the plane makes while landing and try to replciate that in sim.

Think you’ll find IF brakes emulate the “Auto Brake” if set as part of your dirty up procedure! I use this procedure all the time. Works for me! Max Sends

That’s why when I land, at KNUC, I land on the runway, and have a 5 second delay before I put reverse thrust. Always works for me.

737s always land with auto brakes, so I do the same. As soon as the nose gear touches I release the auto brakes. Under strong crosswind conditions, I leave them on until about 80-90kts or when my landing roll is stable.

About 3 to 5 seconds about touching down, I start using about 50% or less reverse thrust until I slow to about 70-80kts. At KSEA, Alaska Airlines exits at the N ramp from 16R, so I need to go the the second last exit in a reasonable time. I do the same at KPDX RW 28R.

For both exiting the ramp and taxing, I use the manual brakes which gives me better control than clicking the auto brakes on and off.

Also remember, commercial aircraft often won’t try and stop as quick as possible. They’re usually given a taxiway to exit the runway off, so there’s no need to try and slow down as hard as possible, then taxi at 25 knots for half the runway etc. most commercial airports have the high speed runway exits in specific positions along the runways. The aircraft can just brake at say 50% and use spoilers, continue their roll and exit at speed off the runway. It’s quicker and more efficient.

ATC will try to give a taxiway exit near their terminal / gate, or to assist with traffic flow.

In short, yes the aircraft can stop as fast as they do in IF, but in real life pilots aren’t using full reverse and full maximum brakes a long with spoilers on long runways that can handle A380 departures etc! That just causes major wear on both for no reason and just increases runway occupancy time.

Also IF only gives us the one autobrake setting - maximum! Real commercial aircraft have an autobrake with usually around 3 setting for landings, 1, 2 and maximum. We don’t have that luxury.

2 Likes

In real life, the auto pilot controls the brakes (or at least in the larger commercial jets eg. B777 A388), and will vary breaking in conjunction with the Thrust Reversers. If you touch down with the breaks on in IF (which essentially means at 100%), it would be worse than slamming on the brakes of your car going 100mph, and basically shred the tires, if they didn’t burn up from the heat. Depending on crosswind, and the speed at landing, the auto brake system will act alongside the thrust reversers putting braking on each wheel depending on it’s weight on the ground (like the suspension in a car) to slow the plane down.

Im guessing coding that in IF wouldn’t be easy though, so I just tap the brakes on and off lightly to slow the plane down gradually. Even if the plane is heavy, it’ll use only a small amount of runway to slow to a stop.

1 Like