Planes, Planes, oh, did I mention planes? Spotting at KDEN - September 12th, 2020 (Part 1)

Hey all! Last weekend, I made the trek out to Denver International Airport for a spotting trip, and for some delicious Detroit-Style pizza. I went spotting for around 3 hours and it was very busy! I even caught a whopping 10 different canyon blues! It was a fun trip, and having some pizza at the end was very refreshing. I hope you enjoy the photos!

Picture One:
This is only my second time spotting Alaska Airlines! The first time was also on this day when I caught their “Honoring Those Who Serve” 737-900, but the shots are super obstructed, so I won’t share them here. Here’s N469AS, a 6.1-year-old 737-990(ER) arriving from Seattle as “Alaska 668”

Picture Two:
“Mitch” the Wolverine is one of 11 active Frontier A321s, as the other 10 are still stored in Roswell, New Mexico due to low travel demand. “Mitch” was also stored in Roswell for a period from April to July when Frontier temporarily became an all-Airbus A320 NEO fleet, when they had all their A319s, regular A320s, and A321s stored in Roswell. Some have returned, but some still have not. Anyways, “Mitch”, a 4.1-year-old Airbus A321-211, is seen heading out to Las Vegas as “Frontier Flight 777”

Picture Three:
Continuing on, here is one of Frontier’s 58 A320 NEOs, which make up over 55% of their All-Airbus fleet. “Captain” the Puffin, a 2.8-year-old A320-251NEO, is seen heading down to Runway 25 for the flight over to Phoenix as “Frontier Flight 755”

Picture Four:
A not too common airline here in Denver as we are dominated by United, Southwest, and Frontier, heading to a common destination from Denver in Phoenix, is the 21-year-old A320-232 N658AW, which has flown for America West, US Airways, and American, is seen taxiing to 25 as “American 1301”

Picture Five:
My first actually decent cargo shot belongs to this FedEx 757, which was flying from Memphis to Las Vegas as “FedEx 590”, diverted to Denver for some reason, and it made a rare 35L departure. The plane that was operating the flight to Vegas was N930FD, a 29.1-year-old 757-2Y0(SF), formerly with Air 2000 and Kiwi Travel International Airlines as G-OOOU, Air Atlanta Icelandic and Excel Airways as TF-ARI, Excel Airways and XL airways as G-VKNA, and finally with Aladia as XA-MTY.

Picture Six:
One of the larger small airlines that class the Denver area home is Key Lime Air/Denver Air Connection, which operates Metroliners and these Dornier 328s, with this one, registered N677DC and being 21.2 years old, with spending some time with Midwest Connect. This plane is painted in the livery of the defunct Kazak airline “Caspiy”, with this plane never flying for the airline. It’s operating “Denver Air Connection 5418” heading down to Clovis, New Mexico.

Picture Seven:
Back to the Frontier planes, there were 4 I caught that were sitting on the ramp east of Concourse A that did not fly when I was there, or at all on that day. Here’s a shot of one of them, a 2.1-year-old A320-251N, registered N338FR named “North the Harp Seal” sitting on the ramp with Southwest’s N8604K taxiing by.

Picture Eight:
The first of 10 canyon blues I spotted on this trip was N440LV, a 17.2-year-old Boeing 737-7H4 operating “Southwest 2585” to Las Vegas via Albuquerque, heading over to Runway 25.

Picture Nine:
The next Canyon Blue I caught was N296WN, a 13-year-old 737-7H4 equipped with split scimitars, operating “Southwest 2078” to Burbank, also heading over to Runway 25.

Picture Ten:
One of the 10 Frontier Airlines A320s not in the new livery, and also one of the 5 Frontier A320s we have in Infinite Flight, N206FR, or “Alberta and Clipper the Polar Bears”, a 10.5-year-old A320-214, arriving from Pensacola as “Frontier Flight 639” is seen passing by “North the Harp Seal” (N338FR) and “Parrish and Daisy the Burrowing Owls” (N371FR, Which was at the time, the then newest Frontier plane in the fleet, they have already added a new plane).

Thank you for viewing my topic and I do hope you all enjoyed the pictures! Comment down below on which shot you liked the most!

My other spotting topics:

Topics

My return to Denver - KDEN Spotting, July 25, 2020 (Part One)
Vintage Aircraft + others - @ KBJC - May 14, 2020
Some pre-lockdown spotting - @KDEN - March 24, 2020
Some other Airport other than BJC or DEN! Spotting at KAPA - February 15, 2020
Some pre turkey day spotting - @ KDEN 11/24/19 (Part 1)
Afternoon Spotting - At KBJC (10-6-19) (Part 1)
An afternoon spotting session in Denver, September 15, 2019

52 Likes

I’m a simple man, I see backlit photos, I like.

😛 Nice shots Luke, FedEx is poppin

2 Likes

Detroit Style 🤮🤮
Rather confused as to how some are extremely backlit and some are super lit.

That FedEx Pencil is so good

1 Like

Thanks Suhas!

Detroit Style is good my guy you are on the wrong side of the spectrum though.

Thanks!

I haven’t edited them yet, besides cropping/leveling so that explains the weird lighting on some of them.

1 Like

Beautiful photos!

1 Like

Beautiful catches!

1 Like

Thanks Mason!

Thank you!

2 Likes

Very cool pictures! I see some IF liveries! 😂

1 Like

That FedEx is fire, got to love that late afternoon light. Might be one place all those fires are helping you, getting that light nice and red.

1 Like

That’s true, thanks!

The fires weren’t actually too bad, not as bad as today since it snowed a week before, but y’all seem to like the FedEx a lot. Thanks!

2 Likes

Really great shots! The FedEx one looks really epic!

1 Like

Picture 9 is definitely my favorite! You could probably guess why 😉

1 Like

Thanks guys!

1 Like

Some nice pictures in this topic, especially this one has a very cool angle for the A320NEO and also the contrast with the Southwest tail makes it even more interesting. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Really nice shots, man! It’s always cool to see rarer aircraft like the Dornier 328. You are lucky to have some of those based there!

1 Like

Thanks, Julian! I liked the contrast between them too!

Thanks! It’s nice to see rare aircraft sometimes :)

2 Likes

I wonder if this topic is about planes. But those pictures look good.

1 Like

😅😅😅 very funny. It would be nice to see the auctal Infinte flight 2019 liverty on a plane though. Think you could try to pitch in a plane @UnitedVirtual???

3 Likes

Awesome shots. The FedEx is especially nice!

1 Like

Thanks!

Thank you!

You never know…

1 Like