Plane-Train-TV’s ATC Tracking Thread - [CLOSED] @ N/A

Hello Everyone! I have created this thread so I can improve my skills as ATC and ultimately pass the written and practical of the ATC exams. I plan to open 1-2 runway airports that are not often used. This will offer a challenge for me but will ultimately get me better. Whenever I open, I will post in this format:

Airport:
Frequencies:
Pattern Work?
How Long will I be Open:
Remarks:

I hope many of you can prepare me for IFATC. Thank you!

Airport: KSAN
Frequencies: Ground and Tower
Pattern Work? Yes
How Long will I be Open: TBD
Remarks:

Hey, I’ll come by in a bit. Anything in particular you looking to work on?

Mixture of Transitions and Pattern Work would be great. Thank you!

Hey, on my way as well

On my way now.

Thanks! Quick update, internet did a little “cut,” but returning now.

I see someone has staffed KSAN tower now as well. Would a move to SNA work for everyone?

Sure thing

Airport: KSNA
Pattern Work? Yes
How Long will I be Open: TBD
Remarks:

I’ll stop by.

Hey Mate, here’s my feedback: [G-EPOP]

Be careful with your transition altitudes. 2500 would be alright, but it’s not perfect. One thing to remeber is to take into account the field elevation of the airport when calculating your transition altitudes. You always want to take pattern altitude (1500AGL or AAL in IFATC terms, they are the same thing basically) and the airport elevation and add them together, then round up to the nearest 1000ft, then add 1000 feet. So you gave me 2500, which is just pattern altitude (it’s technically 1556’ AGL, which is why you round up) then added 1000 to get 2500. If you took into account the field elevation of 56’ MSL, you would of probably seen why you round, but for simplicity sake, just take the pattern altitude, round up to the nearest thousand feet, then add another 1000ft to get the transition altitude; dont forget about the airport elevation though!
Other than that, you are a really strong controller in my eyes and are very good at working to stay aware of your airspace and what is going on in it.

Good job today and I hope to see you in IFATC in the near future!

Thank you for the feedback! I will definitely be using this information next time around. Ans thank you for your time!

Hi there! I was N186SZ. Here’s your feedback today.

1. You do not need to send a “Enter Right Downwind” command while an aircraft has taken off for patterns. In the initial message, the pilot is told which direction he will be traveling. That is why a pattern entry is not required

2. When I asked for a runway change in my last pattern. I was flying parallel to @Erik_Popescu ok the upwind. Thus entering right downwind wouldn’t be the best option. You told be to enter right downwind. This worked out, just remember that it might not work as well if aircraft are in the pattern in the opposite runway.

3. Everything else was good on my end. Fantastic work!

Good luck on your journey to IFATC!

Appreciate the feedback! I’ll go into my replay and check it out. Thank yo I again for your time! Means a lot!

1 Like

Feedback from fellow runner (N17EE)

[03:05:07Z] 3,000 for your transition is good.

[03:05:22Z] - Enter right base would of been better based on my position at the time.

Ending Remarks - Very nice controlling at this time. You were aware of what was in your airspace and exit runway commands and all. Nice work IFATC is just around the corner.

Thank you for your time and feedback! I’ll be sure to improve on the pattern work! Thanks again!

1 Like

Feedback from —GR

1. On first pattern circuit, you told me to “enter right downwind” after I had departed with right traffic. this isn’t really needed as I would have departed into the right hand circuits anyways and you could have just said "number , traffic to follow is on [right downwind/right base, final etc…] but then after the first circuit you stopped and started using sequences instead of pattern entries which was good

2. Very good awareness, planning and preparation, especially with that awareness with the go around was spot on.

3. Everything else was good for me as well.

Good luck and nice work today mate!

Thank you for the feedback! And thank you for your time! I’ll be sure to go take a look at my pattern work and see what I can improve on.

1 Like

Airport: KCHS
Pattern Work? Yes
How Long will I be Open: 15 min
Remarks:

I’ll stop by.