Plane tires

Hi,
do you know why plane tires are smooth flat ?

7 Likes

It beacuse of friction or something like that

7 Likes

That is what I thought but why won’t they use standard tires like those for cars

1 Like

I will try and find a video

2 Likes

Skip to 3:50

8 Likes

If a jet plane had good friction tires like those on a automobile it would be a rough ride for one. Smooth tires make for a smooth ride. Also, a plane doesn’t really need gridded tires because it’s not trying to tackle rough terrain. For the most part, all airport surfaces are flat. In addition, when an aircraft is rolling down the runway, the tires heat up which causes friction.

12 Likes

one point to consider is that aircraft don’t need the wheels to provide traction to move. The engines provide the thrust to move, there fore the wheels don’t need to grip the runway in the same way that a car needs to grip the road.

8 Likes

Also a car with smooth tires is perfectly fine and won’t be very dangerous but if you try to turn you will lose control, it’s the same with any aircraft they only will go in straight lines at high speeds so it’s perfectly adequate

1 Like

again depends on the surface. On a race track, cars will have a smooth tyres in order to reduce friction, whilst general purpose road tyres or off-road tyres will have a different function again

3 Likes

Yeh I think the post above is right

That’s basically what I’m saying, if you want to drift then yes you might have some pirelli P Zero tyres

3 Likes

Here’s the thing. If you have flat tires, you have the most grip, but can’t displace water. So, they make them as smooth as they can to maximize grip and take into account weather. Here’s and F1 tire, very flat, maximum grip, but hydroplanes on water. image

Plane tires have some channels to handle the water. Also, having ridges on planes that land at 170 knots creates too much heat. That’s why tires are the way they are.

6 Likes

We hydroplane once, it was scary and fun

2 Likes

So basically if planes used car tires on landing they would just burn up?

1 Like

They’ll explode, the compounds used in aircraft tires are different than consumer tires. They’re not built to withstand the strain of something weighing that much hitting the ground at 300 km/h. Most car tires are not built for that kind of speed.

5 Likes

They’ll heat up and shred themselves to pieces. Not the best way to land

very interesting, I didn’t know anything about that

1 Like

I just choose the first vid I saw 😂

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.