Plane spotting question I need some advice

I currently have an IPhone 8 and GoPro Hero 7 back, as you may know, the iPhone 8 is good but now good enough for spotting, the GoPro on the other hand has good quality but doesn’t zoom in very far. I might need to buy a new camera that can do video and photos and can zoom in a good amount, the issue is my budget is 200$. So do you know of a good affordable Camera for video and Pics or do you know a lens that can attach to a GoPro?
Thanks for the help

1 Like

Hello,
Unfortunately, I am not really familiar with this topic. Perhaps these topics can help:

Maybe you can just take a look at Google and search for feedback there. More specialized there. I wish you good luck!

2 Likes

The issue is that those topics recommend more expensive cameras but thanks anyway

I would maybe looking at getting a second hand camera, I got my Canon EOS 500D (Canon Rebel T1i in the US) for like $350, don’t know what that is in USD

1 Like

Here are a few list where you can a camera for under $200. The price of a camera doesn’t mean much. It’s how you use your camera. You could buy a real expensive one, but if you don’t know how to use it to it’s full ability, it’s not worth it.

2 Likes

Unfortunately DSLRs (or mirrorless) are the only interesting option offering a lot of flexibility.

I would advise waiting until you can afford one because anything else will make you feel how much you need a DSLR or equivalent.
And don’t fall on the trap of hybrids…

Point and shoot are great but you can barely edit anything before it starts showing the low pixels density.

A DSLR with its kit lens on the other hand offers far more possibilities, cropping being one of them when you don’t have a telephoto lens.

1 Like

$200 is sort of too low. I guess you could buy second hand but even then the best you’ll get is a low to mid level point and shoot. I’d just save until you have enough to buy a DSLR (like 500).

1 Like

Beyond all question, 200 is too low for buying camera and lens .
This is my advice:
If you wanna make the planespotting professional, you can save money until you get enough budget to buy for the camera.
But if you just only wanna make planespotting for fun, and the picture does not use to upload on jetphotos, you may could go to the second hand camera market to check it out is it some equipment available to you. OR just use the Go Pro to do planespotting.

1 Like

There is no substitute for a good Canon or Nikon camera but if you get something similar to a Moment lens for your iPhone. GoPros are probably too wide for Aviation but with the right equipment the iPhone camera is tremendous, I’d look for a lens that attaches to the phone in a way of a case because it wont move too much. Its more a temporary solution than anything else but proper camera equipment gets very expensive very quickly.

1 Like

I found something interesting

Does this do video and photos how do you know and can you attach lens to it

Hey, I was in a similar boat to you when I bought my first camera. I didn’t have a big budget. I settled on this camera:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-powershot-sx540hs-20-3-megapixel-digital-camera-black/4866803.p?skuId=4866803&ref=212&loc=1

You can find it for 259 dollars in a lot of stores. The zoom and quality of the photos are incredible. It’s a great choice to get you started with aviation photography.

2 Likes

It does both Video and Photos but no changeable lens. I’d recommend Sashaz55’s camera it does video and photo with a changeable lens

1 Like

That lens is no better than your iphone to zoom in.

1 Like

Would the one that @Sashaz55 recommended also do video, and how much would it cost to get a lens

SX540 doesn’t have an interchangeable lens - it’s a bridge camera.

I seriously recommend considering a DSLR over any bridge. As someone who has used a decent bridge camera as far as bridge cameras go, I can tell you that they will leave you wanting more quality very fast. You outgrow them so quickly and then you’ve spent an extra 250-300 dollars for nothing.

1 Like

even then, he’d have to buy another lens

Happy bday btw. (Anniversary)

1 Like

Canon Powershot SX540 HS has 50x optical zoom and up to 200x digital zoom (optical zoom doesn’t make it crusty as you zoom in).

Mine was $260 on Amazon, so a little bit over your $200 but if you can make a little bit more money, this is an excellent camera to buy for pretty good spotting pics. It’s no DSLR, but it fits your budget, takes good pictures, and zooms really far and really nicely.

These are some pics I’ve taken with it. You can really see the zoom on the 747 pic with the door opening.

1 Like

Did it come with a lens and does it do videos to?

It is a fixed lens (can’t change it), and yes, it does videos.

I’m not sure how to make videos super stable while zooming, so if you do videos of planes, I recommend getting a tripod and not really zooming or anything.

And remember: practice makes perfect 👌

It may a while to be really smooth when doing video, but with some practice, you’ll be the next Lepp Aviation.

1 Like