Plane Pointing upwards

I’m mid-flight on the virgin 787-9 and I’m 32,000ft cruising altitude but my airplane nose is pointing upwards as if it’s still climbing, but it’s not, it’s cruising at the altitude I set. Can anyone give me advice or a reason for this?

5 Likes

The 787 has a weird bug where it is always pointing up at cruise.

Also welcome to the community!

1 Like

Is normal. Don’t worry ;)

Most likely Every plane points up on cruise

1 Like

Firstly, this is only a visual issue, it shouldn’t affect your flight unless you are losing airspeed.

Unusual Pitch Angle - Live - Infinite Flight Community

Check out this post which includes the same aircraft that you are experiencing issues with. It has many helpful replies which may help to resolve it including setting flaps and trim.

After reading through it, one of the most common fixes was to set flaps to 5 degrees.

3 Likes

Yeah, Im flying a 747 and it pitches upward but it is normal for most aircraft in IF. It also happens in big airliners in real life.

1 Like

This is most likely due to how physics actually works. All aircraft have to have a very slight positive angle of attack in the air in order to keep level flight. This is due to many factors including weight, altitude, speed, etc. If the angle of attack was zero, then the aircraft would most likely start descending.

From Principles Of Flight :
“…in straight-and-level flight, cruising along at a constant altitude, altitude is maintained by adjusting lift to match the aircraft’s velocity or cruise airspeed while maintaining a state of equilibrium in which lift equals weight.”

Also, welcome to the community! Feel free to create a PM with me or create another topic if you have other questions, discussion ideas, or need support. We love to help out our brothers and sisters in aviation!

Here’s something else to take a look at:

3 Likes

So just a question out of curiosity, does the B787 really fly with such a high nose pitch in real life, or is it a coding error in the old model?

1 Like

I don’t believe it to be a coding error. The Infinite Flight models are all based on real physics and real aircraft. They’re also tested extensively and compared to the actual performance of real aircraft.

Like I mentioned above too; all aircraft need some positive angle of attack to maintain level flight.

1 Like

Thank you lol

1 Like

Thank you all for the advice! It was getting on my nerves but it’s ok now I know it’s meant to be like that 😂🙈 thank you all. And thank you for the warm welcomes

2 Likes

that is normal cause u might be full of fuel, u will be fine, dont woory : )

Hi, Jill! This is normal. The 787 is a bit elderly compared to other newer aircraft in the sim, so it’s possible the physics could use some love. Hopefully one day we’ll see a rework!

Until then, the best fix to this problem is to keep your 787 trimmed. I usually cruise at around 40% positive trim, depending on weight. A good rule of thumb for trim is to keep trimming until the magenta line disappears. Here’s a great explanation of trim in IF:

I hope this helps! Safe flights.

1 Like

Wow, is the IF 767 based on real physics?

1 Like

Believe it or not, the current Infinite Flight 767 is indeed based on real life physics. Now, an aircraft created back in 2012 is not going to be as great as one reworked or created in 2021 or in recent years, mainly due to technological capabilities between a 9 year span. However, it still is based off of the best physics the developers could implement at the time.

The 767 also can’t be equally compared to the 787, which is a 2016 aircraft. In the span of 4 years, developers had access to better technology and equipment to design and test the aircraft. Sure, some aircraft don’t have the best physics they could have, but voting for reworks is a great way to show support for updating these great planes.

Here are links to both the 767 and 787 rework threads:

1 Like

How much are we talking when we say pointing up? I haven’t seen this mentioned but it’s pretty important thing to get straight to determine if this is normal or not. The 787 in Infinite Flight, as in real life, will pitch up 2-3 degrees in straight and level flight at cruse. Here’s a picture from a real 787 flight deck to back this up.

(Image from British Airways)

If it’s considerably more than this then consider descending, you may be too high for your load thus requiring the plane to maintain a higher angle of attack to have enough lift to counteract weight.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.