Plane nose pointing up, so runway not visible from cockpit

I was on approach at PHTO in a 717 when the nose was pointing so far up that I could barely see the runway at the bottom of my screen, I tried using trim but neither Positive or Negative trim helped. ATC told me to maintain 160 knots more than 5 miles from the airport while still at 2000 feet of that has anything to do with it. How do I fix this, thanks!

1 Like

Did you calibrate your device before you disengaged autopilot to land?

2 Likes

I believe you’ve already made a topic about this, but with the A321. Your angle of attack is too high, this is likely due to the fact that you are far too slow, with spoilers on, and no (or too few) flaps.

2 Likes

I always have this problem with the 717🤦🏽‍♂️… last time me and my fellow pilot had to go around because of this 😂… could be something wrong with the physics

2 Likes

I made sure to calibrate

1 Like

It was me with the A321 issue last week, on this flight I deployed flaps too late I believe but they only pointed the nose farther up

maybe practice with the A320, with the live instruments it is much easier to see the runway, since the GUI is also sorta blocking here

1 Like

Interesting, if flaps didn’t reduce AoA, it might be a bug with the physics. Could you share a replay of that portion of the flight? And how much flaps did you have in this screenshot?

1 Like

In that case it could be the physics of the Boeing 717 in-game. The 717 is an older aircraft model and will most likely get a rework in the future, as Infinite Flight plan on reworking the older aircraft models.

2 Likes

I ended up just landing in HUD view which I don’t like doing but on my first flight I had to go around twice at PHNL because of planes on the runway so I wanted to get on the ground in Hilo

I fly the A320 the most in the game and never seem to have this problem (besides with the a321 last week)

This screenshot I only had 10 degree flaps but like I said, once I increased the flaps it only made the problem worse. I’ll be sure to share the replay too, good idea!

Definitely a bug. Happens to me in a lot of aircraft. Most CRJ, but I’ll be perfectly set up for landing and then my plane will just start climbing uncommanded.

1 Like

So for the MD-11/DC-10, your AoA is going to be inherently high, as it’s just a quirk of the aircraft. The spoilers you had deployed reduce lift (spoilers spoil the airfoil, so there is less lift and more drag, fantastic for descent and on touchdown, but increases AoA). I recommend far more flaps, if they are increasing your pitch, push the nose back down. The circle is your flight path vector, it shows where you’re going. Point this at the runway. By touchdown in the MD/DC, have your flaps on the second to last option, or the last if it’s a rather short landing or if you’re heavy (too many flaps make you slower and can make it harder to keep it stable). Worst case scenario, the glideslope and GPWS callouts will guide you to the runway, like an IFR IMC approach. If this doesn’t work, it must be a bug, but I’ve never experienced it.

By the way I’m guessing from the VC that you’re in an MD/DC. If I’m wrong then that’s rather embarassing.

1 Like

I’m in a 717 😂 but I’ve had an issue like this on the MD-11 so I think what you said could help

1 Like

Ah, well then… Ignore the stuff about the last notch of flaps. All other stuff still applies. The 717 is a very outdated aircraft in-game and has a bad physics model compared to newer IF aircraft. My best bet is that it’s because of this.

2 Likes

Had the same, I stalled on landing because I couldn’t see the runway so I continued as normal… I powered TOGA to get away from becoming a wreck but no success and… nosedived into the terrain…

1 Like

Having your spoilers deployed certainly isn’t helping. Probably not the entirety of the issue (I had some issues with the physics on the Hawaiian 712 the other day in Hawaii), but just the same…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.