Plane Makes Emergency Landing on 36th Street in Calgary

Global News reports that a Piper Navajo with 6 souls on board declared engine trouble and made an emergency landing on 36th Street in Northeast Calgary, just before 16th Avenue. The incident occurred at about 5:30 this morning. No injuries or fatalities were reported.

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4634332

4 Likes

Glad to hear everyone is okay! This is exactly why we practice emergency procedures.

Maintain best glide, squawk 7700

8 Likes

Hopefully there weren’t to many bystanders around as I’m assuming that 5:30am is rush hour. Cause It’s a disaster trying to get to work at 5:30am.

1 Like

Surprisingly, the only thing the plane hit was a road sign. Minimal damage to the aircraft as well which is good.

Also here in Calgary our rush hour doesn’t start until like 6:30 maybe even 7:00 thankfully. I think we’re all glad that this happened in the early hours of the morning.

3 Likes

I’ve worked up at the EMS hall in that area, it’s dead around that time, so there likely wasn’t much around in terms of traffic.

2 Likes

Ya I guess Rush hour doesn’t really become that until like 6 or 6:30. I don’t drive very far for work but something when I have a morning class I have to get on the US60 and at those times it’s horrible.

2 Likes

I am glad that the plane landed safely!

1 Like

So as someone with no experience with Calgary is that a major street? I know we already discussed traffic, but more long term with cleanup (wich if Canada has anything like pendot must take ages for an aircraft crash) would it have much affect?

1 Like

It’s not the most major by any means, especially not that early in the morning. There’s a lot of businesses and stuff in the area, but it’s also bypassed by Highway 2 to the west and the ring road to the east. Especially being that close to the Trans-Canada which intersects both of the above mentioned roads, thru-traffic is virtually non-existent.

1 Like

It’s busy during rush hour but there are a lot of detour routes in that area. The concerns were the train line and the highway nearby.

2 Likes

So this is the unfortunate Navajo. And yes, those are muffins behind it.

Photo credit - Joshua Hoffarth

8 Likes

Hmm, the plane doesn’t look too damaged.

Definitely was an interesting story to wake up to, Lol.
Glad that everyone was okay. I find it interesting that this same thing happened in (Quebec?) The day before.

Would have been cool to go see it, but of course school is in the way of everything.

1 Like

She only hit a small sign, thankfully

1 Like

The end of the right wing was damaged. Other than that she’s still in good shape!

2 Likes

Is here a background to this lol! 😂

4 Likes

I’m wondering the same. Lol

2 Likes

Glad everyone’s ok! Here’s to the pilot!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.