Plane disappears over Lake Erie during bad weather, 6 people are missing

A small plane carrying six people went missing over Lake Eerie overnight Thursday after taking off from a small airport in Cleveland, Ohio. The Cessna Citation 525 headed to Columbus left Burke Lakefront Airport and disappeared from radar about 2 miles over the lake. The reason is unclear, but weather may have played a part. There was some light snow in the area and winds were 30-40 MPH. Due to high waves, they were unable to do boat searches. There were 3 adults and 3 kids onboard. Water depths in the area that the plane went missing from radar are about 50 feet.
I really hope they can find the people, alive or dead. Please pray for them and their families/friends during this time!

19 Likes

Poor people I hope they are okay and find them.

6 Likes

This has been a bad year for aviation. Hopefully they find answers for the family

1 Like

Which Columbus airport? KOSU? Thats pretty uncommon for GA flights over Lake Erie… Update: Nevrmind I know where Maverick Aviation is… The pilot was the CEO of a brewery down here in Columbus, he was treating him and his family to the Cavs vs Celtics game. And THEY DID get a search party out there, a MH-65 and a C-140 from the Royal Canadian Air Force, and a C-130 from the Coast Guard Station in Ohio. They are sending out smaller boats when the winds die down

2 Likes

C[quote=“N881RA, post:3, topic:88387, full:true”]
This has been a bad year for aviation.
[/quote]
Even though we had some bad accidents this year, 2016 was actually the second safest year in aviation.

But I do hope they get found soon.

6 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. But they just had to trurn around and they couldn’t go left downind cause the city is right there. They have to go right. Which would bring them over the lake for a few minutes. Plus we had a terrible snowstorm.

2 Likes

Yeah I know, I was at the Cavs game, could barely maintain my speed back down to Columbus after the game

2 Likes

When I fly out of Burke they always make me go right downwind if I’m going south. I can’t go left because of the city and they don’t want me departing straight out because CLE international I’d that way. They want me to hook around.

2 Likes

Is Burke the airport where they host the airshow every year?

Yes. The one right on the lake.

1 Like

That’s Burke. Usually when I takeoff from 24L they don’t like me going left. I mean techically I could, but it’s just easier to go right anyway. And that’s Lake Erie right there.

3 Likes

Ah okay! makes sense

I think they might have been going to KOSU

1 Like

Here’s an update: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/12/30/airplane-lost.html?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Local+news&utm_source=facebook

1 Like

At this point it’s becoming likely the plane nose-dived into the lake. FlightAware.com registered 3 datapoints after takeoff, The last datapoint from shows the plane at 2,100 feet, heading north, descending at -3,750 feet per minute (which is pretty high for a descent rate) at 242 knots.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N614SB/history/20161230/0330Z/KBKL/KOSU/tracklog

1 Like

Not sure who provided the Herky Bird but theres no USCG Herks anywhere near Ohio, we don’t even have any MH-65s either, those come from CGAS Detroit based out of Selfridge ANGB. Not sure if the Canadians provided a C-130 along with the CP-140 or they borrowed a Herk from Youngstown or Mansfield.

edit Just read the article, was in fact a RCAF Herk.

1 Like

The first question I would ask is if they deiced or not. If they did not de-ice before takeoff, that can cause a boatload of issues.

2 Likes

UPDATE: They still haven’t found the plane but they have identified the people who are on it.

John T. Flemming (pilot)
His wife
His two teenage sons
Their neighbor
The neighbor’s daughter

Source:

1 Like

UPDATE: The Coust Guard has suspended search and rescue efforts as of 12:30 ZULU. The City of Cleveland will commence recovery efforts tomorrow.

3 Likes
1 Like