Plane crashes into home in California

LOS ANGELES — Four people were killed and as many as five others remained unaccounted for after a small plane carrying five people crashed into a home Monday in Riverside, California, authorities said.

At least two other people were being treated at Riverside hospitals, Fire Chief Michael Moore said at a news conference Monday night. Two homes were destroyed, and crews were still looking for three to five people who were missing, he said.
The plane — identified by the Federal Aviation Administration as a Cessna 310 — was carrying a San Jose couple and their three teenage children home after a cheerleading competition when it crashed at about 4:45 p.m. (7:45 p.m. ET), Moore said.

Ian Gregor, a spokesman for the FAA, told NBC News that the plane went down about a half-mile northeast of Riverside Municipal Airport, which is about 60 miles east of Los Angeles. The crash threw debris as far as half a mile away, set homes ablaze and sent thick, choking smoke billowing into the sky.

The plane’s fuel tank was full, Moore said, and the fire was still burning at 11 p.m. ET. The entire block of the residential neighborhood — as many as 40 houses — was being evacuated, he said.

“This is just a sad case,” Moore said. “We hope the best.”

Elizabeth Espinoza, 20, who lives near the scene, told NBC News: “I was just looking outside my window and saw a green plane, and it was going really fast, and then it fell to the ground and exploded,”
“There was no way it was able to pull up, the way it was dropping,” Espinoza said. "It was like — I don’t know how to describe it — just so fast that you wouldn’t imagine. It was a big crash and then a boom. …

“We felt the ground shake once it hit,” she said

It amazes me how at least one passenger managed to survive this crash.

Crazy to think this 310 was heading towards my local airport. At least it wasn’t as bad as the N36402 crash that happened about a year ago. That was bad, wiped out the whole family. Owner was a real nice guy as well.

5 Likes

Rather than copying the news article and pasting it here, a more constructive topic would be suitable. I could very easily look this up on Google. You don’t need to post this here. Please read what to include in the RWA category.

5 Likes

Even though it’s sad is it really necessary to have a topic for every plane incident. Yes it’s sad and it should never happen but imagine if someone posted something every time a car wreck happened

So sad. May there be condolences to the family’s involved

Full condolences to the family’s 😔

#real-world-aviation = New York Times (IF edit)

OMG thats what the smoke was! I live in that neighborhood!

1 Like

Is it me or aviation accidents (Crash) are getting more often lately (It flooded the forums recently). My deepest condolences to the victims and I hope the family can be stronger to face this incident

6 Likes