Plagarizing Photos on the IFC

I’m pissed off that I’m ending up having to say this in the first place, but please don’t steal photos from websites and post them on the IFC.

Not only does it make you look bad when you get caught (and you will), it’s also illegal. You can be sued by the owner of the photo and receive a huge fine, and we’re talking thousands of dollars.

Next time you think of doing this, think to yourself: “Am I really willing to take the risk and ruin my reputation just for likes on the IFC?”

It’s not worth it. It’s just not. Take your own pictures.

We’re always going to figure it out.

59 Likes

I also would like to point out that if you lie, you will be caught, whether it be minutes, hours, days, months, whatever.

Liars never win.

And in the case of spotting, a simple Tineye search can expose you in less than a minute.

6 Likes

Also want to point out that you signed up to this forum agreeing to be 13+. If you can’t deal with the cEnSorEd text above then just grow up and get out in the world. You manage to have Google at your hands with those pictures.

6 Likes

Very well said,

You get the angle, lighting and a rare aircraft for it to be stolen. Its disgusting.

They take them as they cant be bothered to do it themselves.

Most stolen photos
Rare aircraft
Retro liveries
OTTs

2 Likes

Seriously, I don’t even know why this is a problem.

You’re literally breaking the law for what? Some IFC clout? I don’t see the appeal.

“Spotters” who just steal photos are an absolute embarrassment to the rest of us who actually devote countless hours and hundreds of dollars developing our art. It’s an insult.

Aviation photography is difficult. I get it. But it’s not that difficult to get started. Get out there and try something.

The Triple S will never stop patrolling the ranks of spotting topics.

If I sound angry in this post, it’s because I am.

27 Likes

Thank you for saying this. The IFC has been plagued as of late by people blatantly taking photos from the internet and conning them off as their own. This shows a lack of integrity, character, and brings the honesty of the IFC down. Please, do not participate in this poor behavior.

4 Likes

To add on,
I asked to remove my Kemble pics of 747s as i got in a great area to photograph and i didnt want them stolen

4 Likes

Spot on. I hope the people who do this stop because it’s disgusting. I’ve caught people using my photos before and I was absolutely irate. I don’t know if it’s laziness or just plain stupidity, but it needs to stop. I genuinely thank you for this message and hope it makes an impact.

4 Likes

Am I the only who did never checked authenticity of the photos because I always thought that nobody on the IFC could have ever posted plagiarised images?

Really surprises me this awful practice, ethically and legally incorrect

7 Likes

I always just trusted them before this became an issue. It tends to occur with first time category posters.

5 Likes

Until recently, I don’t think many people did. It’s more of a recent thing. But now when I see images from people who have seemingly never spotted before and their pictures seem very solid, I always question it (not an insult to those new people who actually produce good images).

4 Likes

Who else saw a HUGE increase in ppl posting in the RWA Spotting?

4 Likes

Thankfully I’m yet to find someone do this to me but its horrible that it happens anyway. People doing it for Forum clout. Good that someone brought this up cause it is definitely something that has to be addressed here.

How someone can think of doing it is beyond me.

2 Likes

I usually post my own images, but is it allowed to post pictures and give the author credit at the bottom?

1 Like

Let’s frame it like this:

If you were someone who never spotted before, and you went out and took some images (with a real camera), and let’s just say they’re not great.

So what?

If you post them here, you will inevitably get advice, both shooting and editing, from people here. That allows you to improve.

Now let’s say to decide to steal something off of JetPhotos, Airliners, or Spotterguide. You maybe get your hour of clout. And then you get caught and no one ever trusts your images or respects you as a spotter for a very long time.

Pick your route wisely.

5 Likes

If you have there permission to post there photos

I think

Yes, as a rookie plane spotter it also disgusts me when people do that. I put in hours or days of my time for the photos and there are people who steal all the credit, Shane on them!

1 Like

I didn’t know this was an issue here. But stealing and lying is not ok here or other places.

3 Likes

Yeah. I jumped on the train too, I usually go to my airport to practice taking photos as I like photography and aviation and thought I would get some opinions from the IFC. But some people just want to see the Spotting Genre on the IFC go to ruins

3 Likes

Here’s the path of logic.

New user wants to get into a high up place (regular, moderator, whatever), so farms and tries as hard as he/she can to get into that high up place as fast as can be, so they get everyone’s attention and likes by posting often, posting “good” content (most of which isn’t theirs), so they can trick everyone, perhaps getting likes, making friends and getting people to be on their side, and then get the high up position.

TL;DR - farming does not work

4 Likes