Piper Malibu missing over the english channel

Horrible news from Skysports this morning. Cardiff Football clubs new Argentine striker, Emiliano Sala (signed for the club only a few days ago) has gone missing over the english channel. The plane is a Piper Malibu, performing the flight from Nantes to Cardiff. Radar contact was lost over the english channel and a search-rescue is currently happening. It is confirmed that he was on the plane and we can only hope and pray that all the passengers will be found alive and well.

12 Likes

Yeh i saw this and I really hope they find him and the pilot🙏

4 Likes

We all do! Sadly it doesnt look to good

2 Likes

Why would they fly a single engine over the English Channel? I thought to fly over any body of water in a single engine you have to have like 50 miles of gliding area to get to land Incase of a technical malfunction. Maybe I’m wrong, but I hope everyone is ok.

1 Like

Thats a question someone with more knowledge than me have to answer :/

1 Like

prayers for him and his family.

4 Likes

Not sure if it’s different outside of the US, but in the US - you are allowed to fly a single engine plane over bodies of water, BUT if you plan on flying outside of gliding range back to land, you have to have the necessary water survival equipment. (I.e. a raft).

4 Likes

Oh, ok. That’s what I thought, but I wasn’t sure. Thanks for the clarification!

2 Likes

The search finished at 18:00 local time and will resume tomorrow morning. The latest statement from the English coastguard is that most likely no one has survived. Horrible news…

3 Likes

Hope they find the aircraft and the people

1 Like

While this accident might be sad and if they can’t find the aircraft and/or they do with or without survivors, we don’t need to post every small aircraft accident. Although the person onboard may be uprising, small aircraft accidents happen all the time, and the forum would become aflood with them if we were allowed to post every small aircraft accident

To add onto that, here’s a thread on Aircraft Accidents Severity. Aircraft Accidents Severity Guidelines

Very sad news. I hope some answers come out of this soon. Single engine over water, especially in bad weather is such a scary idea.

Ok but the person on board was a prominent athlete and that makes it a big deal.

It would be up to the mods to decide. However this is just a small aircraft accident. Several famous people have died in small aircraft accidents, and their life will be dearly remember and they will be missed, it is only a small aircraft accident.

Feel free to PM me to continue this discussion onwards.

1 Like

Man 2019 ain’t of to a good start for aviation! Already a possible crash! Hopefully everyone is ok! All we can do is wait and hope that they’re alive!

1 Like