Pilots with part 61 in airlines jobs?

Who’s a pilot that has done part 61 and works for the airlines or corporate now??

4 Likes

Area 61, military?

2 Likes

At a flight school part 61

1 Like

Perhaps @Heavydriver may have some information on what a Part 61 consists of and what it means for yourself career wise.

1 Like

Have a read of this, it gives the differences between a P61 and a P141 flight school. From what I can see a P61 is less formal flight school and aimed at leisure pilots whilst the P141 is more of a full time flight school , bUt we do things a little different in Europe.

http://www.flyingmag.com/pilot-technique/new-pilots/flight-school-part-61-or-part-141

2 Likes

Then @Aernout is your guy

o7, although we don’t do P61 in Europe, on the airline side myself.

2 Likes

I know you said Part 61, but you may find better luck with a Part 141. I went through a Part 141 and got a job offer from Envoy Airlines, a subsidiary of American Airlines. This took me all less than a year.

5 Likes

Congratulations on getting the job with envoy! What equipment you on?

2 Likes

I did 61. Shoot your questions

Or Run to Europe, Skip the regional go straight to 320 fresh out of school :P

I will be flying their new E175’s

1 Like

Great job! You will have to tell us how close the IF model is too the real thing!

1 Like

did you go through ATP a flight school or build hours your own way?

I went to a university and got a 4 year Bachelors Degree since that is what it seems like what most airlines are looking now for. However, do not be mistaken that a degree is not REQUIRED. Only preferred. The university that I went to is a Part 141 and they get you all the way from your first solo to Commercial Single and Multi.
Benefits of attending a University for flight training: Most aviation universities have an agreement with the regional airlines for the students to instruct at partner schools while working as a Flight Instructor and as an employee of the airline. I have attached a link to the various schools in the United States that offer R-ATP or Restricted ATP minimums. This allows you, if you meet the requirements, and obtain the courses that are valid for the R-ATP hours. This was another reason why I went to a university. I no longer have to meet the mandated 1,500 hours but rather for me personally 1,000 hours. I realize attending a university is not financially possible for most but if you have the opportunity, I highly, highly recommend it. https://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/atp/ <- Look under the “Higher Institutions” section.

After I graduated, I had about 300 hours. I still needed to find a way to make up another 700 hours. Having connections within the realm of aviation is crucial. Flying part 135 SIC is a easy way to rack up hours. (Great Lakes Airlines). Fly cargo, aerial survey/photography, flight instruction, you name it. Getting a job under 500 hours is the toughest part.

The best advice that I can give: Do your research! (Success rates, costs, safety records, you name it) You want to be the best pilot, right?

2 Likes

I got ya. I started out doing 61 for our PPL then went to HSU to do 141 and like it. I’ve got about 150 hours and fly 1-3 times a week which is nice. We do anything from PPL to MEI-I which is nice and also hire our flight instructors that have been through the program

2 Likes

Glad to hear that you have something that is organized. Many people will get turned off from flying when their environment does not fit them. 👍🏼

Oh yah it’s great. There’s isn’t a day that goes by wishing I was doing something else. It’s my childhood dreams ans im glad I get to live it

1 Like

Im 26 now and I wanted to be a pilot since I was 3. Its been 23 years in the making, and I haven’t wished anything less. Its not a job, or a hobby but rather something that I love. Best wishes on your future endeavors!

Thanks, thats why i love aviation. 18 years old and everyone in the pilt community always wishes me well on my endeavors. i love that about aviation