Pilots expecting progressive taxi instructions

Hello guys,

• I face some problems when I tell pilots to expect progressive taxi instructions because some of them taxi in really high speeds around 30knts and it’s hard to keep track of them specially when the airport is busy.

Give us your opinion and notify me if I’m doing somthing wrong please.

Thanks for reading.

2 Likes

Just keep practicing. I think that you may be able to request that they follow a certain speed, but that’s about it.

1 Like

It’s important to identify any potential conflicts a little before so you can make quick adjustments. If you get it off too late you may have to utilize make 180 to get the aircraft turned around so they can taxi around the conflict and use other taxiways around the area they may of missed while taxiing fast.

3 Likes

I started controlling one month ago and I’m getting better and I’m practising every day.

Thank you for your time.

1 Like

Honestly, really good for you. I tried controlling but I got stressed out and stopped… I tried again later, but same result.

I’ll stick to flying the planes, not controlling them. 😏

2 Likes

I have no problems with identifying conflicts but the problem Is when I’m organizing the departing aircrafts line to make it easier for the tower and for the aircrafts to taxi and the pilot misses a turn because of his high speed even when i tell the pilot to turn early.

That’s on the pilot. They shouldn’t be taxiing that fast as they should expect anything to come from ATC if needed.

2 Likes

That’s right, I think maintain slower speed please command should be added

1 Like

Well I’m not IFATC but I would suggest to make them stop and then tell them to go again and maybe they would slow down, if that doesn’t work you might want to make some traffic to make them slow down to keep track, that’s my opinion, I don’t know what people are like on Expert since I’m not IFATC but I have more than 500 operations on Training(mainly in Lax) and most of the time that works

1 Like

Well if they go over 35 KTS they get a violation after some time so the violations will take care of that. If you send it early enough the pilot should be able to slow down and turn but that’s not the case sometimes unfortunately.

1 Like

That’s a good thing what you are doing, but I’m not sure if it’s correct to use or not.

Thank you for your time.

Recommended max taxi speed should be 20kts and turns at no greater than 10kts no wonder it’s hard your end . Keep up the great work .

2 Likes

Thank you bro 🙏.

1 Like

Here is a practical solution I use in these circumstances from time to time. Say aircraft A is taxing on the inner taxiway to the departure runway, aircraft B is taxing to the terminal on the outer taxiway, and aircraft C want to taxi to the departure runway at 35 knots but is going to conflict with aircraft B.

Provide progressive taxi instructions to get aircraft C behind aircraft A, and then issue the “follow aircraft ahead” command. Now they are speed restricted to that aircraft (assuming it’s at a reasonable speed). You can then issue aircraft A progressive if necessary, and aircraft C follows them.

I also use hold position if they are taxing out of control, and at a high rate of speed, to have time to clear the conflict.

3 Likes

That taxi speed should be reduced to 25 tops! Some take corners like they are in a McLaren at Silverstone.

2 Likes

Taxi should be capped at 20 knts. It’s ridiculous see planes just whipping around corners almost causing collision with others.

1 Like

@Failaka. MaxSez: Since a request for “ Progressive Taxi” in not available in the Pilots Ground ATC menu Controllers should consider the rationale & Ramp loading before issuing such a command!

For most IF Pilots being Provided step by step direction to the Threshold is a new and novel experience/ procedure. Until an introduction to this procedure and Tutorial is listed in the archive it is suggested that good judgement must prevail prior too it’s use!

MaxSends

(Keep in mind that Pilot’s will comply with the 35mph ground speed limit if not instructed otherwise)

2 Likes

That’s a great solution i didn’t think of it.

Thank you bro!!

Absolutely, and sometimes they accidentally drift and crash.

😂😂😂😂

The speed limit for taxiing is actually 30 not 20. 35 is there to allow for error, just like 260 instead of 250.