Pilot Go Around Call

I was landing today at Sydney and the ATC Controller said “go around make left traffic runway 16” but the weird thing is I was landing at runway 25… So I made a left go around but I later found out that runway 16 is where the other plane was at (also landing) so is that what ATC always say when you go around? So basically "go around (left/right) traffic (runway where the incoming aircraft is coming from)? Please if someone can clarify this for me :smile:

I’m confused what happened but if ATC says go aorund, make left traffic for another runway, you just enter a left turning pattern (not a tecnical term) and enter the pattern at base/downwind etc

I always thought that a go around was tighter and didn’t expect my aircraft to go as far out as downwind, just parallel to it right next to the runway, so they’d have a really short base leg. Would I be wrong?

Well in real life, e.g at LHR, they do allow them to try and land again as soon as possible (i think). I’m pretty sure they don’t have to go back into a holding pattern or something like that again if that’s what you mean

Missed approach courses generally take you on the runway heading initially then often with a turn after a mile or two just to get you out of the way and then possibly in to a hold. Beyond that you would be vectored back in to be fitted in with the rest of the arrivals stream.

For example here it is for 27L at LHR, shown by the dashed line on the diagram and desribed in text at the top in the box:

1 Like

"GO AROUND- Instructions for a pilot to abandon his/her approach to landing. Additional instructions may follow. Unless otherwise advised by ATC, a VFR aircraft or an aircraft conducting visual approach should overfly the runway while climbing to traffic pattern altitude and enter the traffic pattern via the crosswind leg. A pilot on an IFR flight plan making an instrument approach should execute the published missed approach procedure or proceed as instructed by ATC; e.g., “Go around” (additional instructions if required).

MISSED APPROACH-
a. A maneuver conducted by a pilot when an instrument approach cannot be completed to a landing. The route of flight and altitude are shown on instrument approach procedure charts. A pilot executing a missed approach prior to the Missed Approach Point (MAP) must continue along the final approach to the MAP.
b. A term used by the pilot to inform ATC that he/she is executing the missed approach.
c. At locations where ATC radar service is provided, the pilot should conform to radar vectors when provided by ATC in lieu of the published missed approach procedure."

Source = http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/go-around-vs-missed-approach.24892/

2 Likes

You are only allowed to do a published missed approach if you have been cleared from an instrument approach procedure such as the ILS 27L into London. If you are given clearance for a visual approach you are excepted to go around using normal traffic pattern or vectors as given by ATC.

Happy Landings,

HD

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

The “published” missed approach (dotted line) is only valid if you are cleared for that particular procedure. If you are flying a visual approach then ATC “expects” you to fly a normal traffic pattern. If they want you to fly a different pattern they’ll give you vectors.

Regards,

HD

When we have to go missed in the 777 if it’s visual outside we crank her over 30 degrees and fly the traffic pattern. Haven’t heard a word from ATC yet except… I’m sorry or climb and maintain XYZ altitude and follow traffic in XYZ traffic pattern leg cleared to land.

1 Like

yup…doing my thing…

I’m bumping this back up its amazing how many people thing this is going around the airport

1 Like

1 Like

I guess you just gotta deal with it infortunately…

1 Like

I don’t know I used it twice on the same guy today and he listened and re entered the pattern

1 Like

Just a reminder to IfATCs that when we say this, take it serious! I was coming in too fast and announced executing missed approach to approach and they ignored me and sent me to land! I came in way to fast on another plane, but they didn’t let me make a missed approach! On advanced, always take these serious, please!

I don’t understand. If you state you are doing a go-around then that’s what you do. You aren’t asking ATC permission to do it. ATC can’t force you land if you have decided you need to do a go-around.

1 Like