Pilot Flight plan vs ATC runway choice based on ATIS

Airport YSSY
ATIS: Departing runways 16R/16L & 07
Aircraft type: 767-300
Flightplan choice: runway 16L (requested on initial pushback request)…even though I am parked closer to 16R, I will be making an immediate left after departure as ATIS is not requiring straight-out departures and I would prefer to leave runway 16R clear for a departure turning right or flying runway heading after departure.
ATC Choice: pushback approved…(no expected runway)…after requesting taxi to 16L ATC says taxi to 16R.

My confusion: ATIS says 16L is available for departures.
Do I…say standby…then amend my flight plan…then request taxi to 16R or just taxi to 16R, depart flying runway heading til out the cone then turn left while amending my flight plan while flying the runway heading therefore increasing my workload 🤔

1 Like

If there is no conflicting traffic, you could still turn left right after departure…just good situational awareness is required.

3 Likes

Taxi to the runway that the controller instructed you to go to. However, if there’s minimal traffic and no one taking off from 16L, you’re not required to fly to the end of the cone. Like @8SmartFlying said, situational awareness and ensuring no one is in the vicinity is key in this situation.

3 Likes

Forgot to add…there are 16 departures lined up for 16R 😂🤣…and I don’t mind the long taxi to 16L 😂😂🤔…but I do know for sure the controller has the final say so.

Unfortunately you’ll have to be patient. If you request a taxi again you’ll risk a ghosting.

You could pm the controller to inquire about their decision if you really wanted to - as long as you’re nice we’ll be happy to help. Usually controllers have their reasons for sending you to that runway though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.