Pilatus PC-21

With the developers currently well underway with their rework of the Bombardier CRJ Series, people are starting to ask, “What’s next?”

Of course there are those who want more airliners, but we have plenty of airliners, and FDS don’t seem enthusiastic about adding any new commercial aircraft any time soon.
That leaves us with two main camps: The “Military Aircraft Need Better Representation in Infinite Flight” camp, and the “We Demand A New General Aviation Aircraft” camp.

The Pilatus PC-21 would be a good compromise, possessing at least some of the features sought after by both groups.

A Swiss Air Force PC-21 at the Axalp Airshow 2015.

The Pilatus PC-21 is a turboprop powered, tandem twin seat fast jet trainer aircraft, which I believe combines the easy handling characteristics and all round useability of a GA plane, with some of the speed, grace and agility of a military fast jet. Its addition would mean a brand new category of aircraft within Infinite Flight: The fast jet trainer.

Such an aircraft would be ideal not only for less experienced pilots looking for a taste of the fast jet experience, but also for entry level aerobatics teams such as Aerosync’s “Team Hawk”, which currently uses the Cirrus SR22. If you would like to see this aircraft added, please consider giving it a vote.

Specifications

General characteristics

• Crew: two (student & instructor)
  • Length: 11.233 m (36 ft 11 in)
  • Wingspan: 9.108 m (29 ft 11 in)
  • Height: 3.749 m (12 ft 4 in)
  • Wing area: 15.221 m² (163.848 ft²)
  • Empty weight: 2,270 kg (5,005 lb)
  • Max. takeoff weight: 3,100 kg (aerobatic) / 4,250 kg (utility) (6,834 lb
    (aerobatic) / 9,370 lb (utility))
  • Powerplant: 1 × Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-68B Turboprop engine, 1,200 kW (1,600 shp)

Performance

• Maximum speed: 685 km/h (370 knots, 428 mph)
  • Stall speed: 170 km/h (92 knots, 106.25 mph) gear and flaps up (20 km/h
    less with flaps and gear down)
  • Range: 1,333 km (720 nm, 828 miles)
  • Service ceiling: 11,580 m (38,000 ft)
  • Rate of climb: 1,219 m/min (4,000 ft/min)
  • Wing loading: 208 kg/m² (42.7 lb/ft²)
  • Power/mass: 0.39 kW/kg (0.23 hp/lb)
  • g limits: + 8.0 g to – 4.0 (aerobatic) / + 5.0 g to – 2.5 g (utility)

Armament

• Hardpoints: Provisions provided for 4× under-wing and 1× centerline external store stations, capable of mounting up to 1,150 kg (2,540 lb) of payload of air-to-ground weapons to operate in the Counter-insurgency role.

Sources:

If you truly wanted this then surely you would vote for your own idea?

3 Likes

I was out of votes, so I had to decide which existing vote to remove.

2 Likes

Ok. I love this aircraft which is why I have decided to vote. I replied to the topic asking about the creator voting as I don’t vote for a feature unless the creator shows commitment to their creation.

1 Like

Fair enough. I put a lot of work into my feature requests. I think I spent over an hour on this one with planning, writing, finding photos, editing etc.

2 Likes

Whoops! Just realised the title said “Pilatus PC-214”. I don’t think that plane exists.

RAAF PC-21… I would fly that forever

1 Like

What an amazing feature request! More GA aircraft is what we need. Definitely earned my vote.

1 Like

I agree. If this were added it would broaden the spectrum of GA/private aircraft available. Planes like the Citation X are similar to airliners, whereas a PC-21 is more like a fast jet. The C208 is good for short range, regional transport, and the C172 and SR22 are suitable for free, VFR flights and exploration.

2 Likes

Nah. But I would love a 777 rework!

What about the Super Decathlon?

1 Like

Oh yeah, forgot about that one, for the same reason that i forget about the F/A-18 when im talking about fighters. It just isnt up to the same standard as the others. I guess it still has its uses, particularly for accessing difficult locations without runways. That’s what I use it for.

1 Like

I love the Super Decathlon for flying in areas like where i live, where you dont see many C172s, and you see more taildraggers and small prop planes. Honestly I think the aircraft that need reworking should be reworked before we get new aircraft.

1 Like

@David_Beckett… MaxSez: “Well Done”. Exceptionally prepared, well written, informative, excellant justification. This post is a teaching moment for those who post a 1 Liner Feature with a picture. Looking for a vote to transfer. Regards

IMG_1517

1 Like

Thanks! I do sometimes wonder why people often put in such little effort for feature requests. I mean, if you really want to see something added, why is it so difficult to put some thought into your request?

Very elegant looking plane… I recommend more votes on this thing!

2 Likes

This aircraft deserves way more attention !

2 Likes

Sad that nobody is interested in this aircraft :|

1 Like