Photo Tips For Uploading to JetPhotos or AP.net

Hello, IFC,

Here are some pictures I took that I would like to upload to JetPhotos or AirplanePictures but I need some help with the Following:

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

Photo 6

Photo 7

Photo 8

Photo 9

Photo 10

1: Do you think they are good enough? Comment Below!

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Which website do my photos have the most chances being accepted on?

• JetPhotos
  • AirPlane Pictures

0 voters

Do all photos on JetPhotos appear on FlightRadar24?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

What should I edit / fix with these photos? @Cameron_Stone @Matt737 and others?

For a photo to be on FlightRadar24, does the whole plane have to be in the photo?

Which of my photos have the most chances of being picked and why?

How can I make them better?
Thank You so Much!

4 Likes

The whole plane almost always has to be in the photo for it to get accepted.

Read this whole page in the link to see all of the guidelines. JP is super super picky.
https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthread.php?58983-UPLOAD-GUIDELINES-New-version

4 Likes

Anything else?

Which photo has the most chances of being accepted?

0 voters

Did you edit these photos at all? (preferably on a computer)

1 Like

No, I did not.

Ok, well the first thing you’ll learn with uploading pictures to these websites is that they are very strict when accepting photos.
Unfortunately, I think your photos might not make it, the main reason being they just aren’t sharp enough (they are slightly blurry).
This is the only photo they’ve ever accepted from me:

Here’s two that were not accepted:

The first was rejected because the aircraft was not in the center of the photo. The reviewer also said the photo was blurry, the color was off, the photo was too dark, and other things.

The second was rejected for too much blurriness, too low quality, too dark, and other things.

As you can see, they are very tight when it comes to reviewing photo submissions.
If you were to submit one, Photo 9 (N963JA) might be your best option. They might reject it, but you can at least receive some feedback on why it was rejected.

Also, keep in mind that photos usually take over 7 days before they are reviewed.

5 Likes

@robertine Which camera did you use to take these photos? I might be able to give you some advice.

1 Like

Canon SX60-HS. @racerclc

1 Like

Do you just use Auto mode on the camera, or do you use one of the manual settings?
Also, do you have a tripod?

1 Like

I was using Auto for all of them except for N100AM where I used TV mode.
I have a tiny tripod.

1 Like

I don’t know about AP, but I have a little JP experience.

I think Photo 4 is probably your best chance. Here’s my reasoning:

1. No backlit. This means 1,2, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 are out
  2. Contrast. 3 has low contrast (not your fault, it’s the background). you may be able to fix with editing.
  3. Framing. Photo 5 is a pretty sick photo, but they generally only want you to crop out the unimportant parts if anything at all. Here is an example of when cropping is okay:
    https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9247239
    This leaves 4, you need to level the horizon, crop it, and maybe brighten it up a bit more and resize but you could definitely try.

Remember, don’t get discouraged if your first photo gets rejected. It happens to everyone, unless you’re @Balloonchaser :p.

Also, if I sounded harsh, I wasn’t trying to be mean. The reality is that the screeners for JP are harsh screeners and will pick at every detail of your picture.

3 Likes

On TV, mode, do you know what your shutter speed was? ( 1/x )
The more zoomed in you are, the higher shutter speed you’ll need. For max zoom, you’ll want one of 1/500 of a second or faster. A medium zoom should probably be at least 1/200. Take pictures when the sky is well-lit so that the picture doesn’t not become too grainy or dark when the shutter speed is this fast.
Also, with this type of camera, zooming in a lot can decrease image quality, so try to shoot subjects that are not too far away. The less you have to zoom, the better.

Make sure your ISO is set as low as possible since a high ISO will lessen the quality of the image. Again, a well-lit environment will let you turn the ISO down. 100-200 is preferred, 400 is marginal, and anything above 400 is not recommended.

2 Likes

Here’s a guide on taking sharp photos. A couple of these points might not apply to you and/or your camera, but many of them will.
https://www.photographymad.com/pages/view/17-tips-for-taking-tack-sharp-photos
If you can increase your images’ sharpness a little, it’ll help a lot.

1 Like

In addition, it’s important for aircraft to use AF-C mode (or whatever your camera calls it, Al-Servo maybe?). This means the camera continuously tracks the subject, which is necessary for moving objects.

2 Likes

1/150 I think…

Thank you so much, @xxFuryxx and @racerclc!
I used ISO 400 for most of them.
My shutter speed was mostly 1/250
It did not sound harsh at all, @xxFuryxx!
I use AF auto mode.

1 Like

Anytime! Also,

ISO400 is fine for most cameras.
1/250 is a little slow but it’s generally fine (want more like 1/500 or quicker)
AF-A can be a tricky proposition sometimes, I’d still suggest AF-C

2 Likes

Hate to say it, but JetPhotos is pretty hard to get on, upsides are any time you look there eaven the plane photos (pun intended) are still taken with excellent quality. And getting on for the first time must feel great. But downsides it’s extremely hard to get on. I know @HiFlyer posted there requirements, look at what doesn’t qualify at the bottom of each section. I’d be very proud of some of those, but they don’t qualify. It’s a bit of a harsh reality, but as you get better and better at photography you’re odds get better and better. I’d mostly work on editing for you, you’re photos are good, a bit grainy at times, but colors and contrast wise they are typically rather flat, so some editing would get you a long ways. You’re photos have only gotten better up till now, so keep pushing, because eaven the top photographers there started somewhere…

4 Likes

…So… Would this one work if I crop it a bit?

2 Likes