PHOG Turbulence

Currently on the downwind for RWY 20 at PHOG. Encountering some moderate turbulence. I’ve had turbulence almost every time I’ve flown into PHOG. Anyone else realize this? Is this area always turbulent in real life?

44knot crosswind landing in Birningham a few days ago

3 Likes

yep London Region has been challenging leading up to and over the weekend! seemed to have clamed down a bit now…

Often seem to have high turbulence when on approach to landings in the Hawaiian region. I would imagine that in real life there is high turbulence due to the shape and location of the islands, however be interested if anyone has flown into those airports can comment if its realistically modelled or not?

1 Like

I’ve flown BHX. BHX isn’t always like that but it gets the worst of it when a storm stikes.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

landed in LHR on Tuesday night, we had a 170kt head wind in from HAM. Landing was a little bouncy to say the least and we floated a long way down the runway before touchdown. Was wondering if we would have to do a go around. (A320 Eurowings)

1 Like

things only got really interesting as we descended below 5000ft on approach into LHR, until then had been fairly smooth and was surprised when the pilot announced the head wind we had.

only going with what the Pilot said! But that was a high altitude wind (we where at FL30+ for most of the flight), ground wind speed totally different, but we felt it a lot more being SLF!

yep often get fast head / tail winds on the North Atlantic run. When coming back from USEC on a Early AM arrival often have had to circle off Shannon for a while as have arrived to early for the landing slot back at Heathrow.

Damn man! That’s intense wind!

was a lot less at ground level, prob clser to the 25-35 x wind that was on IF around the same time…but still nasty enough to make it an interesting one. Certainly was heavy on the landing gear and am sure they had a good check before the next sector! As they say any landing which you walk away from is a good land, a landing where you can use the aircraft again is a perfect one!

2 Likes

When I took a trip to Maui. The landing was high turbulence. It was terrifying because the plane was on a right downwind starting to bank to the right. During the bank the turbulence kicked in and cause the plane to shake a lot.

3 Likes

Cool. Thanks for the first hand story!

2 years ago in Amsterdam we had a wind of 55kts with gust’s up to 66kts 😂

Your Welcome @AR_AR