Philippine Airlines adds Manila to Seattle & Cebu to Los Angeles

Just got released a few minutes ago - so far no news sites and Philippine Airlines’ press release have picked up on it - hopefully it isn’t an error.

Philippine Airlines Will Launch A New Manila To Seattle Route:

• This route will launch from May 3, 2020.
  • It’ll operate 3x weekly using the A350-900XWB.
  • Manila to Seattle departs 10:45 p.m. and arrives 7:45 p.m.
  • Seattle to Manila departs 11:05 p.m. and arrives 3:35 a.m. (ok then)

This is a pretty interesting route as I believe Delta was interested in launching its own Seattle to Manila route? Currently, no U.S. carrier serves Manila from a mainland U.S. city.

• Philippine Airlines flies from its hub in Manila to Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York JFK, Vancouver, and Toronto in North America.

Philippine Airlines Resumes Cebu To Los Angeles Flights:

• From May 2, 2020, Philippine Airlines intends on resuming its Cebu to Los Angeles flight.
  • Set to operate 3x weekly using the 777-300ER.
  • Cebu to Los Angeles departs 9:00 p.m. and arrives 7:30 p.m.
  • Los Angeles to Cebu departs 10:30 p.m. and arrives 5:00 a.m.
  • This will be Cebu’s only nonstop flight to North America. I think it might be its only flight to another continent?

MNL-SEA: 6,661 mi/11819 km
CEB-LAX: 7,344 mi/10719 km

Truthfully, I thought Cebu to Los Angeles was an entirely new route until I read it was a resumption. I didn’t expect Cebu to have a direct U.S. route.

The Seattle route makes me wonder if they’re planning to do something with Delta…

What are your thoughts?

Sources:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/288514/philippine-airlines-adds-seattle-service-from-may-2020/
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/288515/philippine-airlines-plans-to-resume-cebu-los-angeles-route-in-may-2020/

20 Likes

Cebu to L.A sounds pretty cool!

1 Like

Incorrect, United operates a flight from Guam to Manila.

The choice to use a 77W on CEB-LAX is interesting…

3 Likes

The 77W on the CEB-LAX sure seems interesting but probably the 3X weekly frequency makes it more feasible.

2 Likes

Ouch, forgot about that one lol.

77W on the route was pretty surprising. It has 75 more seats than the A350. Not sure if there’s enough demand for the route.

3 Likes

I’m surprised their doing the Cebu LAX route with a 777. Would’ve though it would be an A330, or something less… big

1 Like

@BigBert10

Anyways, I’m hoping that if Cebu to Los Angeles does well, they’ll begin flying to San Francisco!

On a slightly different note, Emirates flies the 77W to Cebu from Angeles City and Dubai, so I’m sure there is also quite a bit of demand for North American destinations. At the very least, they’ll probably pick up passengers from smaller islands or cities in the Philippines or maybe even from places like Indonesia (@anon57683537 and @N2628P)

2 Likes

Manila to Seattle…that’s pretty cool!

As for Cebu to San Francisco…no

Wouldn’t it be nice for Manila to San Jose though :D

1 Like

I think the A333’s range is slightly below CEB-LAX.

1 Like

Emirates has DXB-CEB-CRK-DXB. Not sure if that’s classified as intercontinental.

Technically, Dubai and the rest of/most of the Middle East is part of Asia, so it’s a long haul, but it’s the same continent :)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.