Phenom 4xxxx follow the Queen

Was in Logan a few days ago and got the instruction from ground to follow the Queen of the skies all the way to the runway. Hands down the best 15 mins of my life that day.

Parked on the ramp by my plane was the majestic 380.

'tis was a glorious day :)

37 Likes

That’s pretty sweet…

2 Likes

Out of curiosity is there any risk with jet blast and what not to being in such a relatively small plane behind one’s of the biggest out there?

2 Likes

There is what is called wake turbulence. Not sure if he experienced any of it though. Oh how I miss working at Logan.

edit: just realized he was taxiing behind the 747, not flying 😏

5 Likes

So lucky that must have been amazing

1 Like

It really was. Taxing behind my first love in aviation was definitely a treat.

1 Like

What an amazing experience ✈️

1 Like

It honestly comes down to the pilot of the controls. Absolutely no reason to have thrust at over 75% to get the AC moving. Some pilots do that on the ramp and on the taxi way which is heavily frowned upon for many reasons. It’s like that one driver you see on the road with the foot on the floor at every red light with a stright pipe exhaust. He’s the only one thinking hes cool. Ha.

Lufthansa did a great job taxing and used min amount of thrust to taxi round especially after a full stop.

2 Likes

Haha! Yeah, I’ve been behind a 73 pilot in ORD and I felt the jet blast. Debris hit the expensive windshield. No bueno. I got on the radio and said, “thanks for the jet blast bro”

1 Like

It was. Definitely the highlight of my day :)

Definitely. Taxing behind my favorite plane. I’ll take it haha

Oh yeah. Guys do that all the time and I don’t get it. A PC12 on the ramp waiting for clearance gave us (C172) a real nice blast (we were waiting behind him). Normally those aircraft don’t do much but this guy must have really punched it because some rocks hit our windshield. Pretty annoying…

1 Like

I hate to generalize, but pc12s and old school beechjets(extremely loud) are known to do that often especially on the GA ramps.

In major airports it’s usually 73s and every now and then MD80s

1 Like

I’ve been behind an A320 while in a Piper Warrior. We stayed well behind them as we didn’t want debris hitting us.

1 Like

Makes absolute sense. Only problem is in bigger airports they want you ready to go in sequence. Usually about 3-5 mile final from incoming traffic.

Yeah, I haven’t flown into big Bravos but I would imagine you would have to settle for being closer that you would like

1 Like

Was holding short of the runway at a class C airport the other day in a C172 when a Erj-145 pulled up right behind me. Hopefully they didn’t feel any of my prop wash :)! Jokes aside, was one of the coolest things to happen on the ground to me so far, it made me feel very small in that C172. Would love to taxi behind a 747 someday though!

2 Likes

Prop wash! Good one! I actually starting chocking on my water with that. Before you know you will be in a. Erj or crj of some sort behind the giants of the sky. It’s only a matter of time :)

Wow. That is magnificent

1 Like

Thanks and it was :)