Perth Plane Crash Tragedy

2 people have been tragically been killed after their stunt plane crashed into Perth’s Swan River on Thursday. The twin-engine Grumman Mallard flying boat crashed into the river just a few hours before Perth’s famous Skyworks display on Australia Day. Peter Lynch father of 3 as well as his partner Endah Cakrawati. The aircraft nosed dived into the water at 5 pm. There are suggestions that the plane may have stalled therefore crashing into the river, however, due to the aircraft’s small size it had no black box. Other reports also say that the pilot was trying to do a touch and go. The pilot had fears about the weather and sent texts to a friend about the not so good conditions. The Skyworks display was canceled as a sign of respect. Western Australia police and the Australian Transport Safety Bureau are investigating to incident

Full credit

14 Likes

One of the passenger is an Indonesian. Based from the local source, Australian Authorities are trying to find the cause of the incident. Both Pilot and the Passenger died in this accident. I hope they can rest in peace in the heaven.

Here is an amateur video of the accident

8 Likes

Wow! That is an amazing picture!
(Not for the pilots of course)

4 Likes

Didn’t look like he stalled out until he made his turn angle steeper. Don’t understand why he would do such a maneuver so low in such a large aircraft with those weather conditions. Regardless of whether he was trying to land or not, it does not make sense.

2 Likes

I’ve been puzzled actually, how did it happen, why did the plane just go down like that. People are saying it was a very excellent aircraft, so confused how this even happended

2 Likes

I thought the plane is pretty small…

I think we won’t know what happened with the aircraft until related authorities give us an announcement regarding the accident. Many Australians and Indonesians want an answer for this tragedy.

2 Likes

You’re definition of large and mine are obviously very different 😉

Where I come from, anything with two props is considered large, but the Grumman Mallard is definitely a decent size GA aircraft. Unique design, can carry lots of payload, it’s practically a flying bus. Point is, I don’t understand why pilot chose to do a left turn so low in an aircraft that size. You’d think it would be common sense to have some altitude so you don’t end up rolling into a stall, which appears to be exactly what he did.

4 Likes

I have this feeling that it was a skidding stall that caused that Grumman to crash, in which this video that I know if shows much more dramatically. From the video that I included, you will see how the aircraft pretty much flips upside down, and quite rapidly. This is a result of the pilot using too much rudder, because he overshot the runway. Rather ailerons should have been used.

2 Likes

This is really sad. :(

2 Likes

This is my home city and I had to witness this sad event unfold

1 Like

I feel for you mate, must have been horrible to see it live, so sad :(

1 Like

I didn’t witness it but found out immediately. I can’t imagine how the crowds of people handled it.

1 Like

RIP to the both of them. It’s a sad day for the aviation community.

2 Likes

It was a raw scene. My sincere condolences to their relatives and friends.

2 Likes

Almost looks like he got cross-controlled

1 Like

Was there any signs of foul play? Terrorism?

I’ve also come to realise that every accident that happens in Australia, the first thing the police investigates are also links to terrorism.

Absolutely not, no foul play, purly an accident

Highly unlikely

1 Like

That makes me so sad. I feel so sorry for them

3 Likes

Wow, that is really tragic, but it could have been a lot worse than it already is if it hadn’t crashed into the water