Personal Investigations Of Aviation Incidents

Hey IFC,
Lately, I’ve been reading a lot of aviation books and there is one common thing of which all of these great pilots (who have been in incidents) have done to save the flight and/or flight. They have all reviewed/investigated previous aviation incidents that have happened in the past so they would know what better to do if they were stuck in a similar situation.
With the creation of my own aviation folder, I have a copy of every registered aviation incident/crash from 1903 until roughly 2015 (I think). My question is, how do you review/investigation an aviation incident when official investigators have already found the reasons and put suggestions in place.
I hope this makes sense.
Thanks.

1 Like

Well first we need to separate speculation from investigation. Speculating is just coming up with an answer on the spot. Example, ET302 was an MCAS failure just like JT601. Saying that as soon as you find out about the crash is pure speculation. What wouldn’t be speculation is looking at the facts that come out and making a reasonable explanation.

1 Like

You have a point! Speculation is the forming of a theory without firm evidence. Through thorough research and investigation you can come to a conclusion as to what has happened. Speculation won’t get you anything but pure gossip.

What do you mean by investigate an aviation incident?

@CapA, I mean like QF32, US Airways 1549 etc.
And no I specifically mean investigation by officials (for example, ATSB, NSTB, FAA etc).

1 Like

I think it may be a good frame of reference, but in the end you just need to know you’re aircraft, and understand it. No two accidents are the same, and eaven if you have a very similar situation knowing the general points of what they did only gets you so far. In the end it really comes down to understanding you’re aircraft, and the general principles of flight. The Qantas 32 pilot said that when flooded with warnings, and failing systems, he took a step back, worked with what was working, and flew an A380 the same way you would a Cessna, just general flying principles, and lots of experience.

There is a great channel on YouTube that covers many GA accidents and has other informative material. It’s called Air safety institute…

1 Like

per request