Perfecting landings

Any tips for a perfect landing?
What throttle should I be at during approach, and at what speed?
There is this thing where I flare and my plane ends up ascending a bit.
How do I keep my plane stable during approaches. When on final, I always keep my plane on autopilot until the last second, and I want that to change. (I have a joystick)

Any tips?

2 Likes

Practice makes perfect

This is very true with landings. Just do a lot, and you will get good. Also, the C172 is hard to land, so I suggest staring with that.

1 Like

What aircraft are you flying? Generally, a commercial aircraft can be anywhere from 130-145 knots.The ascending issue can most likely be because you are flaring too early or your speed is too fast.

As for the autopilot, a general rule of thumb is at 5 nm out or 1000 ft AGL (above ground level).

As @Captain_Merka said, practice makes perfect!

1 Like

If you’re flying the A380, 160kts is an ideal landing speed.

Flaring is where you avoid a hard landing by pulling up your aircraft - just below the 5 degree mark! Otherwise you’ll float or ascend, which is something to avoid in landing.

Timing is key. If you hear the GPWS callouts called out quickly, you’ll need to flare, or pull-up earlier. It’s the opposite it they’re called out slowly - don’t pull up so much.

I wouldn’t trust the A/P on final, so I just calibrate it, disengage and hand-fly to the runway. The hardest thing is keeping the plane level when you transition from AP to manual flying. There’s that sweet spot that you calibrate to that makes the transition flawless. Use the Glideslope and Localizer to guide you all the way in, with slow, minimal and calm movements. Keep yourself focused on where you want the plane to go. If it doesn’t work, crank the joystick sensitivity down all the way.

Landings cannot be perfect. Ever. There is always something you can improve on (even for me as well). But a good landing is one you can walk away from.

10 Likes

I’d practice this:
Before 1000ft agl, check and trim, calibrate the device carefully, then hand fly with as litttle movement as possible, check your throttle for speed, trim up if required, at 30ft, pull up gently…
I never had a perfect landing, but most are now acceptable…

the a380 physics aren’t accurate since the plane needs to reworked.
So to land this plane is a lot challenge… like 747 and 717 and more
but still can butter them if u practice tons

@DeerCrusher I think it is time once and for all to settle the “Grease” and “Butter” debate.

Thank You Kindly,
Levet

I am Not a RW pilot

3 Likes

This will never happen. 😂

Our butter community is too strong 😂

#butterarmy

4 Likes

There is no such thing as a perfect landing. Hitting the centerline and touch down zone at the same time rarely happens. But being near it while centerline is best. For me I touchdown at 150 knots for the A350, 140 for the A320 and 135 for the CRJ7 but that’s me and how I fly. A goal should be to have the VS between -80 and -300. Sometimes hard touchdowns are necessary especially in windy conditions.

2 Likes

I think speed is key. When on approach, speed plays a major part of altitude control. If you are to fast you can float over the runway or you will try to force the plane down and you will have a rough landing, if you are too slow you can land to short, have a tail strike, or stall onto the runway. If you practice and figure out what is the best landing speed for the particular aircraft, you will have a great landing.

#butterarmy

1 Like

Diferents airplanes has diferents landing speeds, so i recommend to you try on the solo mode with the aircraft you want

I am for -80 thru -150 but take in mind the winds, speed, weight, center of gravity, etc.

Also trim helps a lot it depends again on COG and the speed and all of that

Nail your approach and over the threshold speed. Hand fly as much as possible as accurately as possible. This means pick and speed, heading and altitude and try to stick to it as tightly as you can. In real life to practise landing one of my instructors used to make me fly an approach then once over the threshold feet from touching down with the nose a few degrees up squeeze the power and hold that 5-10ft height the full length of the runway. Practise flying in that critical couple of seconds format looking at how the outside picture looks. We would fly full length of the runway then go around

Have fun, make mistakes and learn. A lot of it.

Knowledge on your aircraft. A lot of it.

Experiment. A lot of it.

Practice. A lot of it.

Happy Landings :) No Pun Intended

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.