Penalty Box at Oakland

Hello everyone. Today when I was planning my flight from Oakland to Anchorage, I noticed a parking place called Penalty Box. It caught my suspicions so I decided I’d look it up. Nothing came up so now I’m asking you guys. It’s Oakland International Airport (KOAK). It’s near runway 30 to the far left. Does anyone know what this place is used for?

3 Likes

A penalty box is basically a place that’s not obstructing traffic where planes can taxi out to sit there and wait for delays to clear up, weather, etc. You can also find it to be used to help with getting out departures a certain manner. Case in point: I was flying out of DCA and all the regional jets were sent to the little penalty box to let the bigger planes leave first.

TL;DR: it’s essentially a waiting spot

16 Likes

Wow! You learn something new every day. Thank you!

2 Likes

I’ve done same exact thing as well at DCA! Hope you have a better understanding now @Trey_Weger.

1 Like

Planes get sent there at times when they land early and there is no gate for them. I’ve spent plenty of time waiting in those at DCA, LGA and ORD for the ATC departure release times on high traffic east coast routes. Always fun place to be…

In honor of O’Hare tomorrow, here is one of those dreaded spots. Any Chicago business traveler knows what it means when you pull in here.

4 Likes

Can confirm, my flight from DCA to ORD had us there for an hour. Could’ve flown back to DCA in that time

3 Likes

Thanks, I saw one in ORD’s charts and wondered why it was there

1 Like

When the pilots have been bold boys ATC makes them sit there for a while to reflect on what they did wrong

4 Likes

Probably a less common use at big international airports but some small planes may use them to do run ups too. For the ones at OAK and ORD that seem to be in question it’s probably the already given reasons, waiting for a slot or maybe you need to call maintenance about something and just need to chill out of the way for a moment.

3 Likes

oh boy, you are giving me flashbacks…

2 Likes

its where aircraft get time-outs.

1 Like

I remember first hearing about the penalty box from a show called Miami Airport 24/7 and in one episode they had to pull a plane into the penalty box due to a security problem on the plane.

2 Likes

Can confirm I have sat there before

1 Like

Omg soooo true.
O’Hare has to be the only airport where you can be Thirty minutes early yet still thirty minutes late.
O’Hare is still the best though.

2 Likes