Pattern work question

So today I decided to head over to OTHH to do some patterns in a 172. I’m sure the controller was correct in what he instructed but I’m a bit confused by the instruction. I took off on runway 34R and was cleared to make left traffic. After lift off I flew runaway heading before the controller cleared me to make left downwind for 34L. (Refer to picture below). Since I had taken off from 34R but was cleared for a 34L pattern leg what am I supposed to do?

Thanks so much for your help guys and please let me know how to do this in the future! 😀

2 Likes

You would enter the pattern for 34L on the downwind and expect a clearance for the option for runway 34L. Then expect to continue to do patterns on 34L unless otherwise instructed

1 Like

takeoff from 34R, land at 34L, some controllers like to put departing traffic on 1 runway and pattern on the other.

2 Likes

Controllers decide which runways for you to use. Even though you used 34R for takeoff, and you didn’t request the runway change, the controller can still change which runway to use. But right after takeoff in a pattern you are supposed to make left/right traffic immediately, and not continue upwind (unless they tell you to).

1 Like

Thanks for the help guys, I’ll take it into consideration next time.

2 Likes

Put it this way.

You have two options. Taxi all the way across the field, or just switch in the air.

I’ll leave it to you to decide which is more efficient.

3 Likes

Of course to switch in the air 😂! I seemed to have understood how it works now!

You took off from 34R, hung a u turn and flew downwind very close to 34R. You were basically flying right downwind for 34L. That’s why I sent check help and maybe follow instructions. What you should have done was turn left and stay on crosswind until you passed over the extension of runway 34L, then turn downwind. At that point you would have been on left downwind for 34L.

I wanted your GA on that runway so I could use 34R for airliners.

I’ll draw you a pic…,

2 Likes

Ah ok! Nice to hear It from the controller them self! Thanks @GHamsz ! I understand now!

2 Likes

Red is what you did, I was expecting the white pattern.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for that! I got it now!

1 Like

This was a great post…excellent training opportunity especially with the pic. I learned something to.

3 Likes

@GHamsz excellent explanation and excellent patience as a controller! Cheers to you both!

3 Likes

When we send check help, it’s not meant to be in anger. It’s hopefully to create a dialog like this where people can learn a thing or two.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.