Pattern altitudes at low level airports

When controlling at airports such as LFMN 12ft ASL…winds are crosswind @ 34006KTS favouring the 4’s what should the pattern altitude be with the mountains straight ahead on departure 🤷🏽‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️…still learning to provide a better experience for pilots when I control.my guess is 1000ft for light aircraft and 1500ft for all other 🤔… I’m scared of the mountains ⛰ on departure and whether the aircraft will be able to climb and not crash but stay in the pattern altitude if doing pattern work 🤷🏽‍♂️

2 Likes

Well, If you have mountains ahead that blocks the standard pattern, then it should be denied, just like Nice airport.

Anyways, the pattern altitude is always 1000AAL for Props and 1500ft for jets :)

Hope that this helps a bit.

2 Likes

I think NICE airport is set up for arrivals and departures only but on IF we have to learn how to accept pattern work at any field (TS 🤣)

Additionally, you can check the ATC manual

I want to add onto what Mateo has mentioned above. Using the link below, you will have access to the official ATC guide that IFATC members use.

In section 3.4.1, it specifically mentions that " [An] aircraft must be able to reasonably fly a standard pattern, if this is not possible due to terrain (such as at KASE, LOWI, NZQN etc), then pattern work must be denied."

As per my understanding of the airport that you are at, due to terrain obstructing patterns for pilots, pattern work should not be allowed in accordance to the manual above.

2 Likes

Pattern work is only provided when the airport can have pattern work. For example, KASE cannot have pattern work at any time due to obviously it being a 1 way in and 1 way out airport. There are a few other airports that typically do not, for example LOWI - aircraft in their “pattern” fly out of the airspace and around if they are doing any sort of patterns.

3 Likes

Thank you all ❤️ I thought I was doing something wrong when I denied it at said airport

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.