[Passed Practical] Chris_Wing's ATC Tracking Thread - [CLOSED] @N/A

EDIT: I have passed my practical. This thread may be closed

Hello Everyone!

I have passed my IFATC written test and now I practicing for my practical. If anyone would like to come along and give me some tips that would be appreciated. Please feel free to give feedback via PM. I would appreciate it, that when you give your feedback, you also tell me how I can improve.

Airport

N/A

Frequencies

Tower & Ground

Server

Training

status

CLOSED

10 Likes

Hello Chris_Wing! My username is Humars and my callsign is N687HS, I was one attendants for your session yesterday. It was a nice flight, but not to forget here’s your general feedback:

Strengths:

You did well, you answered all requests correctly in some way in a timely manner!

Improvements:

When clearing for the option, you shouldn’t specify which traffic they should use unless they’ve requested a runway change and your giving a new clearance for the option. Also when I reported that I was going to make a full stop on final, you didn’t have to clear me to land as you already cleared me for the option (clearing someone for the option allows them to do a touch & go, low pass through the runway or make a full stop, if an aircraft in the pattern is going to land in the circuit they are currently in and you already cleared them for the option, they’ll just give you a heads up for that but you wouldn’t need to change the clearance).

Also, make sure to give clearance for the option if the aircraft (which is remaining in the pattern) is on crosswind or early downwind, not until they report their position to remind you to do so (don’t take this phrase as disrespectful or attempting to point out the obvious, I’m just pointing out improvements :/).

Otherwise, you did well and hope to see you in your next session!

P.S.: Next time I’ll be attempting to test you on transitions, which if you don’t know what that means then this is the definition: It means aircraft that are intentionally passing over your airspace and airport but not having any intentions to land, this is usually determined by the elevation of the airport. For an example: The elevation for KLAX is one hundred and twenty two feet (122ft), the pattern altitude for turboprops or anything considered as general aviation aircraft is one thousand feet above ground level (1000ft AGL) and one thousand five hundred above ground level (1500ft AGL) for jets. We ignore the twenty two feet (22ft) in one hundred feet (100ft) as it’s an unnecessary two digit number that can’t be applied in aviation, then we add 1500ft AGL with 100ft (this is because since 1500ft AGL is the highest pattern altitude possible, we need to add that with the elevation of the airport to avoid any collision between pattern aircraft and transition aircraft), which then gives us 1600ft AGL which then means the nearest transition altitude would be 2000ft AGL.

If you already know this information about transition altitudes, then you can ignore the information I just said :/.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for you feed back Humars!

I’ve read through you feedback and I now know what I did wrong and what I need to do to improve. This was my first training session since passing my written test, so thanks for coming. I know that I need to improve on my sequencing. I have noted your feedback, as I’m creating a guide book for myself.

1 Like

If you have jets in the pattern, they’ll be flying at around 1600 MSL. You ideally want 1000 ft of separation between aircraft, meaning that an acceptable transition altitude would be 2500 or 3000.

2 Likes

CLOSED

19-11-2019

CLOSED

20-11-2019

Now open

Hey Chris!
Although I could only fly two patterns here is a short feedback.

• Ground control was good.
  • Tower control was overall good as well but there are some things you could improve.
  1. Sequencing: When you have more than one aircraft in your pattern and they are all intending to land on the same runway you have to sequence them. Sequencing is important because pilots need to know who they are supposed to follow.
    I’m sure you know how sequencing works but in case you don’t know here is a short tutorial.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5AoZQqL4Ms
  2. If an aircraft is announcing that it is on downwind/ base or final runway XY full stop, the pilot wants to tell you that he/ she is going to land. That means that you can clear the aircraft for landing instead of saying “cleared for the option”.
    This is no mistake but if you clear the aircraft for landing it shows the pilot that you understand what his/ her intentions are. (If you already cleared the aircraft you just reply with roger of course)
  3. You could overall send your clearances a little bit earlier. The earlier the pilot knows if he/ she is number one, two or whatever (or if you want them to change the runway) the better.

Other than that a very good session. A little bit of practice and I see no reason why you shouldn’t pass your practical. ;)
I hope I could help you and have a nice day!
Nils

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback!

I know I was a bit off today.

1 Like

Congratulations on passing your practical!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like