Partenavia P.68

(photo from youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM8UEjjzmAY)

PartenaviaP.68

the P.68 is a twin engine, six-seat, high-wing monoplane. The aircraft was intended for private or business use but has also seen use as both a training and a transport aircraft. It’s now used by law enforcement agencies as an observer aircraft.

Operational History

First flown on 25 May 1970, the prototype P.68 was built in Italy. The aircraft was powered by two 200 hp IO-360s, The German company Sportavia-Putzer modified the P.68 by replacing the nose section with a transparent structure, marketing it as an observation aircraft for law enforcement. Initially, Observers were simply conversions of existing aircraft, but later, they were entirely new aircraft built by Partenavia.

Variants
  • P.68 – Initial production version, 14 built.
  • P.68B – P.68 with fuselage lengthened by 6-inches and six-seat interior, 190 built.
  • P.68 Observer – Modified P.68B with fully glazed nose, over 21 built or modified.
  • P.68C – P.68B with longer nose and integral wing fuel tanks, over 114 built.
  • P.68C-TC – P.68C fitted with 200 hp Lycoming TI0-360-C1A6D turbocharged engines.
  • P.68R – P.68B with retractable undercarriage, one built.
  • P.68T – P.68R with lengthened fuselage, larger tail and Allison 250-B17B turboporops, four built.
  • AP.68TP – First turboprop powered prototype. First flew on 11 September 1978. Original designation P.68 Turbo .
  • AP.68TP-100 – Second turboprop powered prototype.
  • AP.68TP-300 Spartacus – P.68T with fixed undercarriage, over 13 built.
  • AP.68TP-600 Viator – Spartacus with retractable undercarriage, lengthened nose and stretched fuselage, over 6 built.
  • AP.68TP-600 A-Viator as above, with airframe and avionics upgrades, demonstrator flying 2009.
  • Spartacus RG – Fitted with a retractable undercarriage.
  • Spartacus -10 – stretched version of the Spartacus RG.
Operators

Government Operators

• Royal Bahamas Defense Force
  • Bophutatswana Air Force
  • Chilean Navy
  • Hesse State Police
  • Italian State Police
  • Military of Sierra Leone
  • The National Police Air Service
  • California Department of Fish and Game
  • New Mexico Game and Fish
  • New York State Police
  • Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency

Civilian Operators

• Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter Service(in use prior to late 2009)
  • Alpine Airlines
  • Great Barrier Airlines
  • Air Club “SKOPJE”

General characteristics

(which comes from Data from* Jane’s All The World’s Aircraft 1982–83)

• Crew: 1
  • Capacity: 6 passengers
  • Length: 31 ft 4 in
  • Wingspan: 39 ft 4½ in
  • Height: 11 ft 1¾ in
  • Empty weigh: 2,711 lb (1,230 kg)
  • Max. takeoff weigh: 4,387 lb (1,990 kg)
  • Powerplant: 2 × Lycoming IO-360-A1B6 fuel injected, air-cooled flat-four, 200 hp each

Performance

• Maximum speed: 174 knots, at sea level
  • Cruise speed: 161 knots,11,000 ft (65% power)
  • Stall speed: 57.5 knots flaps down
  • Range: 1,140 nmi
  • Service ceiling: 19,200 ft
  • Rate of climb: 1,500 ft/min

my thoughts
I think having this business aircraft would be great for IF! This aircraft being as unique as it is People can use it as a small commuter, operated by militarize, it has multiple rolls that we could see on here! With it being a twin engine turbine prop I think it’d be a great addition specially as IF peruses more General aviation related aircraft.

That is really super cool looking! Nice request, I’ll see about clearing a vote for it but it’s not probable.

With you on that one 100% ;)

3 Likes

Thank you! Hopefully we can get this cool aircraft added!

3 Likes

Well, you’ve done it again @anon93248082, request an aircraft I’ve never heard of. 😂😂

Great request! We need more GA aircraft so I’m onboard. Voted! 👍

3 Likes

Lol! I like weird, interesting aircraft!

3 Likes

Looking at all that glass from the outside made me want to see what the cockpit view was like, lol. Found this image… that would be quite the unique view!

2 Likes

It’s a view for sure! Specially the one where the nose cone is all glass!

What a bizarre looking plane.

That’s why it’s extremely cool!

I agree with you…

2 Likes

here’s another interesting twin engine ! love its engine sound too

2 Likes

Twin engine high wing that’s pretty cool, and bizarre.

Voted, cool plane, with great view in the “observer” model. Found this from a landing vid on youtube :