PART 2 // A Community-Made Airport Spotting Guide // A Guide for an Airport Near You

I really need to stop, it’s becoming a problem. @racerclc, I have edited my post AGAIN, this time adding a recommended camera lens for each location.

@racerclc! You won’t believe what I just did! I EDITED my post AGAIN! SHOCKER RIGHT? I added a screenshot with the location circled in blue.

I edited better photo samples.

Dylan just leave it, it’s fine. Also this should probably be a wiki, it will make it much faster since us regulars can edit it…

This thread is now a wiki. Thank you DeerCrusher! :)

Let’s get some guides in!

Louis Armstrong New Orleans Int’l Airport
Locations

Summary

Shoulder of a street
Pros:
FAA and police don’t mind
An assortment of planes on busy days
Cons:
So. Many. Obstructions.

Parking garage (if you’re lucky)
Pros:
You can see a lot (just about every terminal)
Cons:
The police will ask you to not go up there to planespot
Obstructions

Aircraft:
You can expect a wide variety of aircraft:

Summary

Any kind of Southwest 737
Condor 767
BA 787 (night time only)
Air Canada Express E175
Delta 757, 717, MD90, A319, CRJ200, CRJ700
United A319

Camera:
I don’t know a lot about cameras. So as long as it has a good optical zoom, it should work.

PART 3 // Community-Made Airport Spotting Guide (Q&A and Guides!)

@Dylan_M @Cpt_Alpha32 For some reason, I’m now unable to edit the main post. 30 days have definitely passed by now, but I thought there was no edit time-limit for wikis. Do we have to make a Part 3 now, or are Regulars still able to edit the main post?

I believe Regulars can edit the title, but im not sure about the post. Maybe we can just have each guide in their own individual posts in this topic since the OP cant be edited anymore.

KORD // ORD ~ Chicago O’Hare Intl.
TO BE UPDATED SOON

Locations
Schiller Park Metra Station (Prefered)

Get Directions Here
Note that poles and cords are everywhere and that the Metra shows up every so often and blocks the shot :(
if you’re scared of dogs dont come here; there is a dog park right next to the area.

Photos

Up Close and Personal

Get Directions Here
Note: Traffic in Chicago Doesn’t Stop for Pedestrians. Be Careful & Mindful on the Intersection.
Tri-Pod Reccomended

Aircraft/Airlines

KLM & Lufthansa 747-400’s are frequent visitors.

Common planes include:

MD-10
787-X
747-XXX
A321/20
777-XXX-XX

Common airlines include:

American
KLM
Lufthansa
Air China Cargo
British Airways
China Eastern
ANA
Frontier
WestJet
Etihad

Rare airlines include:

VaMos air
Icelandair
LOT Polish Airlines
Emirates
Royal Jordanian
FedEx (In the MD-10)
Southwest (lol – see Midway Intl)

Rare airplanes include:

747-8
A340
A380
MD-XX

Notes

Chicago is COLD & WINDY during any season besides summer. During summer it is EXTREMELY HOT AND HUMID do not underestimate the weather. Don’t Belive me? This was the weather a couple weeks ago. ‘felt like -50’ ‘chiberia’

Ideal Gear
Flightradar24

image imageWebsite

Food

Gene & Judes
Anneti’s Pizza

Portland Intl Airport

Short Term Parking

Level Seven of the Short Term Parking Garage is the most frequent of the Portland Spotting locations as it has full coverage of all three runways. Level seven is the top level of the parking garage for short term which can easily be found by entering the airport.

The location is best for getting shots of the aircraft rotating and landing because it can be easily accessed and is always open.
Short%20Term

Gravel Lot

The gravel lot is the best place to take pictures for planes coming into 28L. It is great for aerial shots and is near 711 and restaurants. It is off of NE 82nd Way in Cascade Station.
Gravel%20Lot

Marine Drive

Marine drive is great for aircraft departing or arriving from the west. It is near a bar and restaurant, along with that it is right off of a road and in a field. It is located off of NE Marine Drive and NE 33rd DR.
Marine%20Drive

Lighting

The lighting is best when either cloudy or sunny. That is what the pacific northwest is all about.

Airlines
Currently Serving
  • Alaska Airlines (Hub)
  • Delta Airlines
  • Jetblue
  • Condor
  • Air Canada Rouge
  • United
  • Southwest
  • Volaris
  • American
  • Spirit
  • American Eagle
  • NetJets
  • Air Canada (Seasonal)
  • Thomas Cook (Seasonal)
  • Fronteer Airlines
  • West Jet Regional
Formerly Serving
  • Northwest Airlines
  • Aeromexico
  • West Jet
Cargo
  • Atlas Air
  • Amazon Prime Air
  • FedEx
  • UPS
  • Cathay Pacific Cargo (Seasonal)
  • Volga-Dnepr Airlines (Bet you did not see that coming)

We have also hosted almost every kind of military aircraft. We are home to the 123rd from the Air National Guard. These are some of the aircraft we have hosted. The F-15, F/A-18, F-16 (Trash in my opinion), the F-35, F-35B (Jumpjet), Harrier (For a Demo), C-130, C-130 Gunship, C-17, KC-10, KC-105, C-40, and many others.

Camera Equipment Best for KPDX: Bring a UV filter as well as a good zoom lens.

A few months have passed since I made this topic, so I’m no longer able to update the main thread.
Are any mods able to do edit the thread for me, or should this thread be closed?

You can go ahead and make a new thread. 🙂

☝🏼