Parallel Departures?

I have seen this many times in IF on expert server where there are two planes on two parellel runways and one plane gets permission to takeoff and the other is stuck on the runway until the other plane rotates… why is this?
Example down below

Excuse my drawing ability😂

Some runways don’t have proper separation, so we wait until the first departure gains some speed/rotates before clearing the second one to provide that separation.

5 Likes

So you’re saying that there is not enough side separation or forward separation? or both?

I landed parallel with an Etihad A380 yesterday. Quite fun, even when the other plane can squash your puny A321.

Exactly.

1 Like

There are RWA rules for lateral separation (750 feet, I believe), but we don’t have tape measures in IF (KSFO 01s are exactly 750 feet apart, though, if I’m not mistaken.)

But in IF, we have no idea if someone is just gonna hit NAV and bank 90 degrees into the other plane, so why not just chill for a few seconds?

1 Like

No, this is incorrect if wake turbulence is not applicable. Same runway separation is provided if it happens to be a factor within a specific width as prescribed by the .65.

In our case, a 15 degree offset is needed when rotating in order to fulfill the necessary requirements if two planes depart at the same time, which is entirely fine both here and in real life. There are a bunch of other separation applications depending on the type of setup and parallel width being used, but it’d be too complicated to get into it for you guys. For now, either a 15 degree offset with SFO-style departures, a climb to XXXX as instructed by the controller, and/or instructions from radar should be amongst your top considerations.

@AarkonTV: As for your question, there are a variety of possible explanations as to why this may be. You’re more than welcome to bring it up to me if there doesn’t appear to be something plausible and I’ll discuss it with the controller.

3 Likes

I just have this question as I am trying to learn more about ATC, thanks everyone for your answers:)
This has happened to me before and i’m not mad about it… i was just wondering what the procedure is regarding this.

Just a question can you not issue one plane a straight out departure until at or above 1000 for example and then the other plane 3000? or does that not work

It’s (supposed) to, but entirely pointless if one plane does exactly what Tim just described. Climb rates will rarely, if ever, allow enough clearance that early in the departure phase.

2 Likes

I see… so its safe to say that you should just have one aircraft hold on the runway while the other aircraft gains seperation

We can certainly issue that clearance.

But in my experience, erring on the side of caution has a higher success rate. Not all IF pilots are great about situational awareness.

In a perfect world, yes, that would work. But in practice, it’s best, to my mind at least, to simply wait a bit.

1 Like

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.