P.A.P.I landing.

Has anyone been able to make a full P.A.P.I landing without the HUD help? I tried once, but the lights weren´t very visible from the cockpit view. I did manage to see the lights going from red to white and viceversa, but whenever I turn on the HUD, I was always too high.
Can anyone give me some advice on how to make one? All my flights have been with good weather and HUD.

IF has the two-style P.A.P.I light system on major airports, maybe the Devs should add the four style lights to them in a next update?

1 Like

I have! I often land without the HUD. Not much in night though.

1 Like

And how did you make it? The lights aren´t very bright.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

I often land without the HUD as long as it isn’t night, after a few Landings you get a feeling for the height you should be in

You only can see it only 3 miles away and you still don’t know what they are.

Go in cockpit view and zoom in.

1 Like

I always fly within the hud view. I approach with the glidescope and as soon i see the papi lights then i used them until landing

i created a tutorial about the PAPI system that might be useful.

1 Like

I’ve only ever landed in night without the HUD twice. Bare in mind that I only took of the HUD about 1-2nm out. It’s quite hard but with practice it can be done.

The PAPI is only used up to around 200 feet, then it becomes very unreliable and you disregard it.

2 Likes

The PAPI is used as a backup when flying an ILS, it is mostly used for a visual approach as during an ILS you will follow the G/S even if the PAPI shows you are to high or to low because its not that reliable.

2 Likes

So after reading all this answers, IF´s PAPI lights are useless then, because IRL the G/S indicator is used instead of those lights.

I wouldn’t say it’s useless. I like it because it allows me to focus on the landing markers instead of chasing the glideslope.
Also useful for GA aircraft.

2 Likes