Overweight Landings

Hi everyone.Have you tried to execute an overweighted landing in IF? I found it is hard to use a suitable speed to land my heavy plane.If the speed is too high, it will make the flare and touchdown much longer and make you pull the nose up and down.If the speed is too low, the plane may stall easily.Do anyone has methods to calculate a landing speed at a different weight or how should i prevent the plane flows up when i do the flare ?

PS: i tried to land a 787-9 with weight 212000kg at about 155-160kts.I made a long bad touchdown and struck the tail on the runway

1 Like

Well, I just try to keep the THR around 50% and try not to fall below a certain speed (varies from aircraft to aircraft)

2 Likes

Can’t say I have tried to. I know that’s beyond my skill level. I mess around with the weights to simulate fuel burn and different passenger/baggage loads. But no, I’m usually well under the MLW.

1 Like

I usually land at exactly the MLW and its not usually that hard to land with some positive trim. I have landed a few times with an aircraft over the MLW although that was just me not paying attention to my weight before I land at my destination airport. I find that overweight landings are hard (in terms of touchdown smoothness) even with the craziest of flares and perfect approach speeds.

2 Likes

Oh trim ! i have totally forgotten about it. Thanks!

Trim is your friend. Make liberal use of it!

2 Likes

I going to try 1,000,000 pounds on the 747-8 as Boeing made it very well to take that weight.

2 Likes

747-8 is just born for carrying cargo!!!

1 Like

aWhen I land, my weight is always in the green…

so I find landing over the maximum impossible

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.