Overspeed

Can someone say what is Overspeed after update is?

1 Like

Over 350kts ias…

1 Like

When you go over a certain speed, you get a warning. This stops you from overspeeding and putting the aircraft in danger.

1 Like

It’s different in different aircraft.

4 Likes

That’s what I heard.

1 Like

A red line will appear in your HUD that indicates you when you’re exceeding your speed and an alarm will ring as well too.

1 Like

Dash 8 it’s 300 and in some smaller aircraft it’s even less.

1 Like

In real life, the Q400 would probably be in separate pieces by now. Good luck NTSB on hopefully finding all of the debris.

4 Likes

🙂 I was just finding the overspeed warning

1 Like

Only one plane you can’t overspeed
The F-22
1300KTS and still not overspeeding

3 Likes

My oversped planes
Name any plane, I’ll overspeed it (not including fighters)
C172

B747-100SCA

787-10

C17

A380

2 Likes

Its not ias. You can be doing 200 ias while up thousands of feet, and still over speed. The hard rule for most airliners, is the ground speed which is usually 550. Depends on aircraft

1 Like

Check your facts my friend.

The aircraft frame doesn’t know how fast the ground is moving past 30,000 feet underneath it. All that matters is the air particles moving over its structure.

Over speed for an aircraft changes with its altitude (as the air pressure changes). 340 knots IAS at 2000feet is putting huge amounts of strain on the structure of an aircraft, compared to 340 knots at 30,000feet with the air being so thin.

Unless you’re talking solely about IF, however you said ‘most airliners’… Just clarifying if you mean real world or solely IF? The pics posted above though, seem to show you don’t need to be exceeding 550 knots ground speed to get an over speed warning, it’s going off a IAS…

4 Likes

I was talking about If

1 Like

8 Likes

Itd great they added the Vne speeds for every aircraft.

1 Like

The screenshots don’t support your information? He’s getting over speed warnings well under 550 knots ground speed.

Aircraft overspeed due to the airspeed, not the ground speed. So IF have correctly and thankfully made the violations occur when you exceed certain airspeeds!

1 Like

The overspeed warning shows up at the aircrafts VNE I don’t see what the problem is.

1 Like

Just because you are overspeeding doesn’t necessarily mean the aircraft would break apart. It is in short, the speed at which the test pilots determined the aircraft doesn’t correctly respond to control inputs and stuff like that. You still shouldn’t overspeed though.

I think I read somewhere that the Dash 8s cruising speed is 250kts.