Overspeed caused by sudden spike in winds glitch

Now this confuses me I was below 250 the entire climb and was at cruise with my speed set to M82 in the A330 (correct cruising speed IRL). I go to end my flight and all of a sudden I get you are below grade requirements so I couldnt log out and next thing is I have 2 violations listed in the grade table. I log out and it shows all for overspeed when the aircraft was set at M82 and was not overspeeding when I checked. I did notice that I had gotten a headwind but if that is the case for causing the overspeed from winds suddenly blasting (instead of gradually picking up when weather comes back online) then FDS has a major glitch on their hand. Not looking for vios to be removed, I know I did nothing wrong and they will be gone. What I do want is FDS to be aware of this weather glitch with winds.

2 Likes

Did you crash during flight? I see you didn’t finish the flight! And you won’t be kicked off the server mid l-flight for 2 violations. Unless you ended flight, it looks like it’s not at all a glitch but in fact pilot error.

No I was in mid flight and I exited out on my own once I saw the glitch. Was going to exit out anyways but what notfied me to the violations was the “you are not qualified to be on expert” pop up when I was trying to exit

Also, you will be back on expert in exactly 24 hours.

Winds should only affect your ground speed, not air speed. Unless you had a crazy head wind, which caused the autopilot to overcompensate and increase the throttle, I don’t see how the winds would play any role in exceeding 250KIAS under FL100.

3 Likes

Read his post please. He clearly said he was cruising at Mach .82.

Guys, stop throwing stuff out here like it’s a Support request. All that’s happening here is the thread is getting clogged with “what if’s” or “maybe that” happened.

13 Likes

I read his post.

He mentioned a strong headwind, hence my comment suggesting the auto throttle may have overcompensated if it was an aggressive headwind.

1 Like

That’s unlikely because you said the autopilot may have overthrottled below 10000ft when the OP said he got the notification to not have access to Expert once he was at cruising ALT…

May i ask you @USA007, what altitude were you cruising at when you supposedly recieved your violations? Knowing that may play a significant role in understanding what might’ve have gone wrong 🤔

2 Likes

It may have been the headwind but that the auto throttle would shut off then. Meaning that the aircraft is trying to slow down. I noticed this sudden wind update haopen flying in South America 3weeks ago but as I was below 10,000ft it was minor and didnt think much of it. Now Im seeing the ramifications. Im looking to help identify a glitch that could cause unwarranted vios here. Not looking to get my vios removed.

1 Like

Looked like his last known altitude was approximately 37,000 and his Groundspeed was 528.

3 Likes

I was at FL370. I can get the KML file to show the flight track. Wish speed would have been recorded in it.

Flight was operating under Aeroflot 67 Heavy for those who look at the KML file from liveflight

2 Likes

thanks for sharing this. I know what you’re talking about. I have also had something similar happen on iPhone. Let me know if you have a fix!

1 Like

I wonder if anyone else experienced this at a similar time, that would show that it was the weather server going on/offline.

It’ll be interesting to look back at things like this with the live replay system that we’ve heard is coming.

4 Likes

I’ve mentioned to @USA007 as well as Levet before in the past of seeing it actually happen to me and was luckily paying attention to my iPhone when it happened. I’ve seen winds drastically change as if they are glitching and cause autopilot to disengage, i also used to see it on final a lot (but i feel like thats been fixed as i havent had that issue in awhile).

My situation was cruising along at i think .78, all of a sudden I got a ridiculous tailwind that didn’t show up on any of the weather maps or windy. So who knows as if it was a glitch, or just something odd that happened, but luckily in that i was paying attention for an odd moment to see what happened.

2 Likes

That’s very lucky for you that you happened to look at your device then.

I myself haven’t experienced this, and hope not to, as you guys already know i mostly always do Long Hauls and it would definitely be disastrous if plane were to suddenly fall because of the autopilot disengage.

If this is glitch as it seems to be at this moment, hope it will be fixed soon :)

1 Like

When did you takeoff and land @USA007? In ZULU.

Edit: Also, where did you land?

1 Like

I ask because it seems it happened when you were descending. You posted that topic at 14:14 UTC and your violations started occurring at 13:56 UTC.

2 Likes

Update:

We brought this to the attention of our beta testers and we will pass along any information and data as we find it to the developers.

If anyone is experiencing this a screen recording would help immensely and make sure you have the full HUD and information bar showing in the video.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.