Overnight flight paranoia

I put this in general since I do not know where else to put this.

Since my ATC reports (yes, I have two on my record) many months ago, I have become a better pilot and I now understand more of what the average IFATC has to go through when they are on duty. However, due to these reports, I have gotten paranoid about them and completely stopped overnight flights; I don’t want to have another one of those on my already sullied record. This begs the question: how do you avoid reports during overnight flights? (I could fly on the casual server, but what is the fun in that compared to the ATC availability on expert?)

2 Likes

With that question, it would be easier to ask, what led to those reports in the first place?

1 Like

Make sure you monitor all the way until cruise and set your final autopilot settings at cruise. Also it’s probably better to not do VNAV without supervision

1 Like

Simple mistakes on my part ( not understanding an ATC instruction and being AFK during descent (they are both stupid mistakes, and my description at the time said I did (this still applies) not belong on the expert server)

Hi there! Sorry to hear about the paranoid feeling during your sessions. You shouldn’t feel that when flying! While in cruise, your aircraft will display an “Away” state if not touched which will indicate to controllers. So if you do go into an active airspace during cruise they’ll leave you alone and all incidents in the “away”state are considered unintentional. Make sure to never arm VNAV and only activate it 1 minute before descent. Hope this helps!

1 Like

With that, I would definitely hold off using VNAV unless you are sure you will be present during your descent as Populeux_Music said. It is way better to miss you top of descent and have to do some holding patterns than to descend and get reported for inactivity

3 Likes

Definitely! That is what happened in one instance and I have not armed VNAV at undue times since.

Make sure to always be careful to watch for ATC instructions as well. It’s very easy to miss some instructions, especially on a busy frequency such as approach. This will also greatly reduce your chances of a violation, though ATC should be a bit lenient and give warnings

1 Like

Thanks, y’all! It goes to show how simple steps can prevent a world of pain I have learnt this the hard way more than twice

3 Likes

We all make mistakes and try and learn from them. It’s awesome to see you value the aspect of how to solve these missing blanks you have. Like they say, a good pilot is always a learning one! Cheers!

1 Like

Also i would add to your comment we all in Aviation learnd out of mistakes that happend, thats why Aviation is save today.

So its not a shame to have some violations most here in the IFC started with a bunch of violations and learnd out of it. I just can talk from my self in general i have had over 300 violations 1 level 2 out of them now i just hve 22 violations in the 1 year count so i will reach 0 by the end of this year. Its all learning from mistakes thats how i came that far from an perso who just know a little bit of aviation and now i know so much just out of mistakes in if and asking in IFC or just Google 😅

If you’re doing an overnight flight and you have to land earlier in the morning, one thing that I would recommend is to not turn on VNAV.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.