Over 100% N1

Is it ever appropriate/realistic to exceed 100% N1 for serious problems (near stall, terrain escape, last second go around, avoiding another plane by climbing)? If not is over 100%N1 even possible IRL?

@Maxim why does this not belong in #live? Just wondering

IRL, I could imagine in an emergency, going above 100% N1 is possible. All of your examples would be fine for using over 100% N1, but for last second go arounds, however, you would use TOGA (Take Off/Go around power).

If indeed the situation’s dire, you may as well do anything to save yourself. Including firewalling your engines.

5 Likes

Unfortunately that’s not in IF yet. 😥

Oh that’s what it does?😂

What’s it sounds like? Anyone got a YouTube video?

Well you don’t firewall the throttle on takeoff, TOGA is usually pretty well below 100%, think about it, if you lose an eingen, get a gust of wind, etc, you need a buffer…

Do I hear a feature request?

1 Like

I feel like it should be noted, not every statement that something is missing, or that they want something if it’s related to the topic at hand, is strictly, a feature request…

1 Like

It occurs often for go arounds and quick climbs. Not for long periods of time though :)

TOGA, Take Off Go Around power, TOGA is user for go arounds and steep climbs too, on a normal flight profile the most you would use is TOGA…

well basically I meant emergency go arounds, (lower than normal) but on a regular standard procedure go around TOGA would be used.

Even lower than usual I would assume, there is a descision altitude, and go arounds lower than that are rare at best, I supose dire situations could call for the pilots to just firewall the throttle, but it is atleast my understanding that any “normal” maneuvers would be at TOGA or below…

Yep thats true. Something like this could have called for 100% N1

2 Likes

I’d say it’s realistic, I’d imagine if pilots were going into a stall at low altitude like on approach, perhaps they may go full throttle based off reaction, but who wouldn’t.

Yep, good example, and to @EAG-711 I think my point still stands as triple as you’re example is, since that isn’t exactly “normal…”

Engines really aren’t designed to exceed their N1% They can but run a massive risk of damaging the engine. People have explained TOGA fairly well so👍

That is sort of true. Its kind of like a CPU. If you overclock it it doesnt insure reliability, but it does work for short periods of time. 100% N1 is a target that insures reliabilty, something that will shorten and engines hours before matinence but can always “overclock” to some degree.

1 Like

Triple? Isn’t normal? I’m not saying they throttle all the way up and leave it up for the remainder of flight. I’m just saying they likely throttle all the way up unless they have altitude to push the nose down. You can always reduce throttle, and some airports require max throttles on take off anyway.

1 Like