Out of fuel stories

So I was on the Midwest US segment of my world tour. I forget where exactly I was going, but I had forgotten to refuel my aircraft, realized this midway through the flight. I thought if I cut an engine off, I’d be able to extend my fuel life just enough to where I’d be able to land, get off the runway, and refuel at the gate. Cutting an engine didnt do me any good, bc my engines sputtered 9NM out from landing.

2 Likes

I was flying an Alaska Airlines 737-900 from MRLB to KLAX on TS and I ran out of fuel in one of the worst possible places you could run out (other than the middle of the ocean) of fuel, KLAX on TS. I was told to divert so I diverted to KSMO and I ended up miss judging my distance from the runway and I landed on a highway just before the runway.

1 Like

I was flying Lufthansa A330 KEWR-EDDF. Fuel wasn’t really the problem. My weight was. After I got to around FL350, I noticed that my speed was dropping, when I applied climb power, It was still dropping. I had to apply full power, and make a judgement call on how much fuel to dump. Keep in mind that this was only 30 minutes in, people. The rest went uneventful, but a few times during the flight, I had to come up with alternative airports because the fuel/vs the dist. to dest. was uneven. Had I dumped more fuel, or not descended when I did, my 330 would have been in the drink. The problem as sort-of mentioned above was that I was too heavy, which meant I needed more fuel for the first part of my flight.

1 Like

EGLL-KORD ran out of fuel right over the runway threshold. Couldn’t vacate the runway.😂

I never run out of fuel, I just pull a Sully anywhere.

2 Likes

Heh, I remember you telling me about this.

Once ran out of fuel on approach but landed safely

that’s the move everyday

1 Like

I didnt crash, I landed on water.

I once ran out just getting to the gate. Winds also can be the difference of making or not.

To be honest, I would have landed either way, if in front of the MD-11, I would have slowed down quickly and would instantly get on the taxiway, speeding or not.

1 Like

Or you could have Sully’d.

1 Like

It was expert server, I’d rather run out of fuel than get ghosted. It was a short flight anyway.

And I didn’t have the altitude to pull a sully.

1 Like

Makes sense.

1 Like

I was in London heathrow and the fuel running out when I was on the runway
Thanks god

i was flying from EGLL-KLAX i woke up maybe 20 from KSLC and noticed the 30 minutes remaining for fuel, needless to say i dropped quick for Salt Lake City and made it down

1 Like

Do you guys sleep while doing extra long haul flights? because I never sleep even if the flight is 15+ hours long.
What if you wake up and find out you ran out of fuel or flown over you destination😟

2 Likes

I remember I was doing an island hop to TNCM in a TBM and it got super busy because it was an FNF. It was taking forever to land and I wasn’t going to make it to the airport. So ATC gave me clearance to divert and I had to land at a nearby airport. Unfortunately I ran out of fuel on final and I began to stall. I wasn’t going to make it to the runway so I decided I was going to try and ditch in the water. Ended up crashing. Not my proudest moment.

1 Like

Only time I ran out of fuel was in a Ryanair aircraft. You know, I like flying realistically as possible.

6 Likes

Realism is the way forward, i take help of this app called virtual hub where all the checklists are given (including approach plates).
Its a super experience. - @Alpster .-cheers ;-p

2 Likes