Out of fuel stories

those who ran out of fuel in the middle of an ocean and did not leave the game what happened in the end? did you crash?

6 Likes

That doesn’t and shouldn’t happen if you know how to properly fuel plan… But it does happen some how

4 Likes

I woke up once on a qantas747 Flight from lax to syd and I was around 2 hours till landing and I wake up to see the engines winding down and I knew I was screwed then 😳

12 Likes

I accidentally unbalanced my fuel tank once (when I was very new) and was flying from Perth to Johannesburg and had 2 of the engines in my A340 run out of fuel around Madagascar. I luckily managed to land uneventfully.

7 Likes

Once I somehow departed FRA for AUS without doing Weight and Balance, so my fuel wasn’t enough. However I didn’t notice until I was over Ireland. I quit the flight.
I have had some ugly emergency fuel landings… the top 3 would be in a E170 from DAL-PDX, a United 772 from NRT-SFO, and a Qantas 789 fROm PER-LHR. I’d rather not go into details, just take my word for it: it wasn’t pretty😂

5 Likes

It wasn’t above the ocean, but I do have really close call story. I was flying from Malta to Dublin once. I got the fuel on the plane and all, but I had calculated the fuel I’ll need wrong. I had about 300 kgs of fuel on final. I did say I have emergency fuel on Unicom, but other planes didn’t budge, I remember one of them flew over me, entered an excessive nosedive and landed on the RWY just before I did. I couldn’t go around, though, as I would have crashed the moment I applied TO/GA. It was on Training server.

4 Likes

I always try to fly the same long haul routes. MMMX-RKSI, LAX-YSSY, EHAM-LAX, OMDB-JFK. So i ensure arriving the destination at least with 1:30 remaining fuel. The issue here is when you run out o fuel because of the heavy traffic thats really annoying.

1 Like

I was doing a flight from KLAX and ZSAM. I did my fuel calculations to have just enough fuel to make it. LITERALLY JUST ENOUGH!

I woke up seeing that my fuel was getting lower than it should be. I was checking if I had enough to make it to ZSAM and I didn’t so I changed my flight plan to a shorter route and thankfully it was a straight in approach. If I had to make a right or left traffic I wasn’t going to make it.

Anyways it came to me being on final with just under 500kg of fuel left. I did land and by the time I got to the gate I had practically nothing left.

Another story was one of my first ever flights on a live server. (back when I didn’t do any such fuel planning) it was a flight from EHAM to VTBS. 1 I didn’t have enough fuel for the trip and 2 I didn’t even turn on NAV. So I wake up from this flight to see I’m somewhere over Siberia…

There’s an airport quite afew miles away. And then I noticed my fuel was low. While I was descending for an emergency approach I ran out of fuel. I kept going but I was just loosing too much speed and then I crashed on final.

But they’re the only 2 times I’ve ever had a fuel crisis!

3 Likes

damn, I could’nt stop laughing when you realised you were in Siberia

2 Likes

You woke up exactly as the engines were rolling back?

1 Like

The only flight that I have ran out of fuel on was when I tried to fly the E175 from LGA to YWG. I didn’t know the proper fuel burn in the 175 at the time so I thought " this flight is only 1200nm that should take about 3 hrs". So, I put about 3.5hrs in but I also was cruising way too fast for the 175 (M0.85 vs 0.75). I ended up running out of fuel of short final and just body slammed a field outside of Winnipeg.

1 Like

I did a flight from JFK to EHAM and had strong headwinds the whole way there. I was just crossing through Ireland when I saw minimum fuel warming and i thankfully had time to descend and land at a small airport near EIDW. It was a tough landing because the runway was 1,500 ft and I was in a 747

1 Like

I was approaching Vegas with 10% fuel in an E175 and had to hold for ages. I was about to announce low fuel but I was cleared for the approach at the last minute I was told to go around by that point I had 1% I diverted to Las Vegas north airport and ran out of fuel just as I touched down.

1 Like

I wanted to fly the Hawaiian 717 from Boeing Field to Honolulu, full fuel and nothing else. I thought I would run out, but I made it with 20kg left, or 30 seconds of fuel

2 Likes

I was flying from LGA-KEYW last week, I put full fuel because it’s a long flight for a E170. I was not very lucky to have 100 knot headwinds and a long approach, my engines stopped on final and I had to fill up on the taxiway.

1 Like

meanwhile i had to divert to hilo from boston since my fuel started to lower and has like 47 secconds left of fuel in my 767 since i forgot to fuel up since i only putted while on short final the engines died and made one of the worst landings ive done around training server back then

1 Like

A while ago I did a flight from Philly to New York in an AA 737 (don’t hurt me for lack of realism). Anyway, this was before I knew how to plan for fuel well, so I had just enough to get to JFK. I was on approach, vectored away from the airport for the time being, and 5 mins later, another controller came, presumed I was passing by, and forgot, I guess. That turned out to be the end of me. I called on guard, and the approach controller got me n final quickly. I had about a minute of fuel left. I was tuned to tower, announced inbound, he accepted and cleared me to land. I was on 1nm final when tower cleared an MD-11 to takeoff on the same runway, I was 1nm out! And this was expert sever! I had to go around, and due to the go around, I burned the last of my fuel. I was turning to downwind when I ran out of fuel, then the rest is history.

1 Like

i was flying from BIKF to KBOS, it wasn’t til i was about 40 minutes in (halfway over Greenland) and I realised I only had 30 minutes of fuel left. Managed to do an emergency landing at BGGH with less than 3% of fuel left over.

1 Like

I forgot about my flight from Singapore to Auckland and overshot my destination. I ran out of fuel and had to perform a belly landing about 20 minutes off the coast of Auckland, New Zealand…

And I was somehow successful… 🥴

6 Likes

When you have 5% fuel when you’re landing at JFK

1 Like