Oroville Dam Flight

Ah, I see. Yeah this next storm sounds like it’s going to be huge. Whoever manages that dam is going to have a lot of work to do once all this rain is done.

We should fly together sometime…

9 Likes

Love to! Let me know when you have an open seat and I’ll see if I’m available :)

How do you get such amazing pics out of plane windows?

I stick my whole head and camera out the window and hope for the best ;)

1 Like

Is that a joke? …

Yes… With the speed we’re traveling at, anything that is loose and hanging out the window (like my camera) will be gone. Learned that by experience 😱

I usually shoot out of a DA40 which has a side window I can shoot out from. Also need a good lens, make sure the lighting is good, and proper camera settings. Editing is also a big part. I’ll be talking more about photography and flying in the future, keep an eye out :)

2 Likes

Thanks:) You and @JRRaviation should make photography tutorials:)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thanks tyler for opening this topic 🙂

I just flew around Oroville earlier today to check out the dam after the chaos. I was blown away by the damage caused by all the water. The whole emergency spillway was destroyed.

During Flooding

After Flooding

During Flooding

After Flooding

After Flooding

2 Likes

Oh no! That looks really bad =/

But good photos anyway Chris ;)

After we flew around Oroville we did some aerial photography over Beale AFB.

Overhead view of Beale.

Some KC-135s sitting on the ramp.

Two U-2s parked while another taxis out for departure. Thanks for the aircraft identification Tyler.

After we buzzed around Beale for a bit we went over to Auburn for lunch and I got the chance to see an Antonov AN-2 start up. This plane has been sitting for years without flying so to even see them start it up was amazing.

I shared a photo of this same AN-2 with @DeerCrusher a while ago. Should be towards the beginning of the topic.

4 Likes

I didn’t know that they got it running… Looks like a restoration in progress.

Wow, those flyover shots of Beale AFB! You saw a U-2!!! That’s just amazing. More accurately, you saw three! Very nice shots , well done

1 Like

For some reason I didn’t realize U-2s were still in service. I guess I just associate them with a different era, but that’s cool.

Mostly replaced by the global hawk I believe, which goes high and fast but has extreme range of 14,000 miles so pretty extreme.

These shots are beautiful 😍, I swear this forum has put me in so much debt as now I have to get a ppl. Also I don’t know why I find Beale Afb such a pretty airport

Looks like the government planned a phase-out, but the 2015 budget provided for a modest budget to continue some operations. It looks like other than NASA, Beale is the only base in the world still operating them. That makes these pictures that much more cool.

[Edit: Perhaps a squadron in South Korea as well, but still.]

2 Likes